Match Array Formula

brkkrkmz112

Hi everybody,

Today I noticed that something and I really wondered the reason of it.

Normally when I use Match formula for the match type generally I am just selecting exact match from the popup and never seen any problem. Today I was trying to find first blank cell in a range so wrote this array formula " {=+MATCH(TRUE;ISBLANK(Q6:AC6))} "

It is not working when ı just select exact match from pop up and ctrl+shift enter. But when I manually put zero to match type its working.

Could you explain the reason of it.Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
This seems to work

=MATCH(1,IF(LEN(A1:F1)=0,A1:F1))
Array formula, use Ctrl-Shift-Enter

Upvote 0
You are trying to find the exact match of TRUE within a array of TRUE/FALSE results based on the ISBLANK test so you need the exact match.

Upvote 0
Yes but what I could not understand is that what is the difference between manually putting zero and selecting zero from pop up window. Why one of them is working, other is not.

Upvote 0
Cant say as i understand what you mean. Your formula above doesnt include a zero so defaults to 1 so produces an incorrect result.

Upvote 0
You have to double-click your choice of parameter from the pop-up. Single-clicking won't suffice.

Regards

Upvote 0
What I understand is when you click the cell 0 should be seen in the formula bar. Otherwise, it is not working properly. As you said when you clicked once, 0 is not seen in the formula but it is working for non-array formulas. In my understanding it is happining by chance.

Thank you for your kind assistance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back