Match function failing due to unrecognized characters

Yue_Iohikazu

Greetings.

I need your help with one match function that is failing only for some situations.

The functions is right now as following:

=INDEX(Tracker!Q4:CR4,1,(MATCH(Status!K3,Tracker!Q4:CR4,0)-1))

Its purpose is to read the a character string from "Status!K?" cells, search for that string on the "Tracker!Q?:CR?" range and return with the value from one column before, which is also a text string.

This function is working as expected except for some situations where the text in both, "Status!K" and "Tracker!Q?:CR?" contain line brakes, listings and special characters inside a single cell, this is because the text is a copy from another tool.

I believe that the reason for the function to fail on some situations is because the functions is unable to recognize some special characters, or may be the long length, which end up breaking the comparison process.

I have tried with alternatives like this:

=INDEX(Tracker!Q18:CR18,1,(MATCH(LEFT(Status!K17,20)&"*",Tracker!Q18:CR18,0)-1))
=INDEX(Tracker!Q18:CR18,1,(MATCH(LEFT(Status!K17,20)&"*"&RIGHT(Status!K17,5),Tracker!Q18:CR18,0)-1))

But results are the same, #N/A.

Can you please help?

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advanced and best regards.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Try substituting null "" for CHAR(160) thats a common one especially if data is from the internet.
Either that or identify the offending characters in question.

Upvote 0
Try substituting null "" for CHAR(160)

Dear Special-K99,

Thank you very much for your help, but none of my formulas contain any null ("") value, it contains a * within the "" which is the wildcard for the MATCH function, I included it in my alternate formulas in an attempt to only validate through the initial 20 characters from the string and allowing the rest to be overlooked due to the wildcard; although it didn't work out.

I have uploaded my excel file on the following URL for your reference:
filehosting.org | Download | Status tracker.xlsmfilehosting.org | Download | Status tracker.xlsm

Thanks in advanced and best regards.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back