MATCH function to find position of the result of NameRange

ififthelement

Hi All,

I have 3 user defined Names - ExecWinchrome, ExecWinFireFox, ExecWinIE.

I need a function that tells me which one of these has minimum value and then find the position. In turn based on the position, I wast to display the Name

I tried the following

=Match(MIN(ExecWinchrome, ExecWinFireFox, ExecWinIE), {ExecWinchrome, ExecWinFireFox, ExecWinIE}, 0)

The Lookup_Array in RED gives error. How do I tell Excel that its an array of the result of the Name variable ?:eek:

if the result of MATCH is 1, i will shows Win-chrome; if 2 I will show Win-FF, if 3, I will show WinIE.

Instead of those variable in RED, if I directly put the number like {100,89,95} is tell me the correct result of MATCH, because the MIN function does its work perfectly.

Please suggest!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Try the following formula, which needs to be confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER...

=INDEX({"Win-chrome","Win-FF","WinIE"},MATCH(TRUE,COUNTIF(INDIRECT({"ExecWinchrome","ExecWinFireFox","ExecWinIE"}),MIN(ExecWinchrome, ExecWinFireFox, ExecWinIE))>0,0))

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Hi Domenic,

the code INDIRECT({"ExecWinchrome","ExecWinFireFox","ExecWinIE"}) generates #REF!

the name Variable ExecWinchrome, etc only worked inside the MIN or with = symbol. otherwise it is not working.

Upvote 0
Hi Domenic,

the code INDIRECT({"ExecWinchrome","ExecWinFireFox","ExecWinIE"}) generates #REF!

the name Variable ExecWinchrome, etc only worked inside the MIN/MAX or with = symbol. otherwise it is not working.

From my query, for the RED content {ExecWinchrome, ExecWinFireFox, ExecWinIE} ; I am expecting the return exactly as
{45,23,39} .... including the Parenthesis. so that the formula above can work. in which case the formula I was trying out will also work

So for the formula =Match(MIN(ExecWinchrome, ExecWinFireFox, ExecWinIE), {ExecWinchrome, ExecWinFireFox, ExecWinIE}, 0)

if Excel can interpret as =Match(MIN(45,23,39), {45,23,39}, 0) then the result would evaluate to

=Match(23, {45,23,39}, 0) ... which then gives me 2. that is desired :oops: :confused:

Upvote 0
Hi.

So ExecWinchrome, ExecWinFireFox, ExecWinIE are Defined Names, not for worksheet ranges, but each for single values, i.e. 45, 23 and 39?

If so:

=MATCH(MIN(ExecWinchrome,ExecWinFireFox,ExecWinIE),CHOOSE({1,2,3},ExecWinchrome,ExecWinFireFox,ExecWinIE),0)

Regards

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postman24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back