Match text and numbers from two spreadsheets based on common value

Gain

Hi,

I have one spreadsheet with two columns, with the headers: ID number and Chemical name. I have another spreadsheet with six columns: ID number, Chemical name, TEP 1, TEP 2, TEP 3 and TEP 4 (TEPs are numeric risk scores). I need to know what the TEP values are for the chemicals in the first spreadsheet. Not every chemical in the first spreadsheet have TEP values, but all of the chemicals that do have a TEP value will be listed in the second spreadsheet.

In the second spreadsheet, the cells in the TEP columns can either have a number or have a blank cell. A blank cell means that the TEP was not calculated or that there isn't enough information to calculate.

Some of the ID numbers and chemical names in the spreadsheets are not named exactly the same. For example, one name might be 'Arsenic (and its compounds)' and another might be 'Arsenic compounds', but they're both referring to the same group of chemicals, which has a set of TEP values. Another nuisance is that there are some ID numbers that are different for the same chemical. For example, for the same chemical, one spreadsheet has an ID number of 'NA-03' and the other will have it as 'CMJ500'.

My guess would be to do some sort of partial matching macro for chemical names, and returning all 4 TEPs for partially matching values in the next columns, but I don't know how to code for this.

The result would have all of the chemicals in the first spreadsheet, with six columns: ID number (either the NA-__ one or the six letter/number), chemical name, TEP 1, TEP 2, TEP 3, and TEP 4. Is this possible?

Thank you in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated
smile.gif

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Hi Gain.

I would suggest that you create a master ID List that has three columns. The first column in the master ID list is the ID number on the first spreadsheet. The second column is the master number (the one that you will use to connect both spreadsheet numbers). The third column will be the ID number on the second spreadsheet. In what follows, I will call the three column range containing these numbers "Master_ID_List".

Then, on the second spreadsheet, I would add a column to the left of the data. The column you added will contain the number from the Master_ID_List that corresponds to the ID on the second spreadsheet.

After you do this, you can go back to the first spreadsheet, and then in the row for each ID number you can use a formula like: Vlookup(Vlookup(Spreadsheet1_ID#,Master_ID_List,2,false),Spreadsheet2_DataRAnge,3,false). In this formula, the "3" would be whatever the corresponding row is in your spreadsheet two data.

Also, if you do not want to manually input the Master_ID_List numbers on the spreadsheet two column you add, you can use some sort of vlookup or match formula to match them to the spreadsheet2 ID #s.

This may be a lot of work up front, but I imagine it would be a more effective use of your time than always having to check whether or not your partial matches work.

Hopefully that helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back