Match text in two columns, report matches

BobKarrow

Office Version
  1. 2003 or older
Platform
  1. Windows
I’m trying to compare two columns (of text) to see if there are any matches. Column A has 21 items, Column B has 1259 items. I came up with
=IF(($A$1:$A$33)=B1),"MATCH","no"
but that contains an error (if not several).
I'd like column C to report "no" or "Match".
Can anyone help me?

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
How about
Excel Formula:
=IF(ISNA(MATCH(A2,$B$2:$B$1300,0)),"No","Match")

Upvote 0
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
How about
Excel Formula:
=IF(ISNA(MATCH(A2,$B$2:$B$1300,0)),"No","Match")
Well, this is weird. I copied your formula and pasted it in. to column C. I changed A2 to A1 and $B$2 to $B$1, since I have no header row, and copied it all the way down the column. But all cells in C appeared to be blank. If I click on a cell in C, either "No" or "Match" shows up in the formula line, and if I click at the top of column C, all the cells show either "No" or "Match" but in white letters on a blue background. Cells C2:C24 show "Match" and all the others show "No." And, none of the so-called Matches are really matches! I'm trying to install XL2BB now so I can send you a sample.

Upvote 0
Select column C & change the font colour to Automatic.

Upvote 0
Select column C & change the font colour to Automatic.
OK, that fixed the color problem, but the formula still doesn't work. I hoped to be able to to send you a sample using XL2BB, but I'm using Excel 2003 and I can't get it into my AddIns file. Could I send you the whole spreadsheet (or a part of it) using some other method?

Upvote 0
2003. When I filled out the profile, 2003 wasn't an option, so I rounded up.

Upvote 0
Ok, thanks for that. Can you just copy/paste about 20 to 30 rows of data.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I read your second posting first. Didn't know this would allow me to cut and paste.
Breaking of the Circle Studies on the Effect of the "New Science" Upon Seventeenth Century Poetry"Royal" Road Book of EnglandMatchNot ApplicableMapyesoffice/project*Strip/contour route map1890London, UKGall and InglisFairAtlas room; Small atlas shelf RMap6"3.5"
Consumption of Culture 1600-1800Malta in British and French Caricature 1798-1815MatchGanado, Albert and Sammut, joseph C.FirstBook, Hardcover - Jacketyesoffice/project*Given to DW by Alfred Ganado1989MaltaSAID International Ltd.Goodganado oversizedBook, Hardcover - Jacketunmeasuredunmeasured
History of Popular Culture to 1815Spirit Pond RunestonesMatchChapman, PaulVol 22 part 11Book, Paperbackyesoffice/project*Letter from Author1994Atlanta, GAEsopGoodchapmanPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured
Holy Delight: Typology, Numerology & Autobiography in Donne's Devotions Upon Emergent OccasionsWisconsin Land and LifeNoOstergren, Robert and Vale, ThomasBook, Hardcover- No Jacketyesoffice/project*Signed by one of the authors to DW1997Madison, WIUniversity of Wisconsin PressExcellent/Like NewOsterBook, Hardcover- No Jacketunmeasuredunmeasured
Hymns and Spiritual SongsConsumption of Culture 1600-1800NoBermingham, Ann and Brewer, John, Eds.Not notedBook, Paperbackyesoffice/project*1995London, UK and New York, NYRoutledgeGoodbermPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured
Introduction of Arabic Learning into England; The Panizzi Lectures 1996Reading, Ordnance Survey: Sheet SU 67/77MatchNot Applicable1:25,000 Pathfinder Series of Great BritainMapyesoffice/project*1 map 40 x 80 cm, folded to 24 x 13 cm
Maps, Tourist; Maps, Topographic
1980Southampton, UKDirector General of the Ordnance SurveyGoodMap Boxes:More recent UK & EuropeMap40 cm80 cm
John Donne, A Literary LifeTicket and Sign WritingMatch"Scripto"Book, Paperbackyesoffice/project*Pamphlet styleCa1960London, UKHotspur PressGoodS pamphlet boxPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured
Literary TheoryUniversale NovoMatch? Mercator world mapMap, Facsimileyesoffice/project*Engraved, printed and hand colored by Zsolt Torek, "for Rosalind Woodward with love" & given as a gift to RLW when he was visiting as a Woodward Fellow in Jan 20072007Budapest, HungaryZsolt Torek for the International Conference for the History of Cartography 2005Excellent/Like NewMap drawers:TechniquesMap, Facsimile13.75"10"
Lure of Antiquity and the Cult of the MachineHistory of AstronomyMatchAbetti, GiorgioBook, Hardcover - Jacketyesoffice/project*1952London, UKAbelard SchumanGoodAbettiBook, Hardcover - Jacketunmeasuredunmeasured
Madison, A Model CityBirth & Development of the Geological SciencesMatchAdams, Frank DawsonBook, Paperbackyesoffice/project*1954New York, NYDoverNewAdams, FPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured
Mahogany Ship, Relic or Legend?Little Book of Map ProjectionMatchAdams, MaryBook, Hardcover- No Jacketyesoffice/project*Cloth, hard cover, Spine binding torn1914London, UKGeorge PhilipFairAdams, MBook, Hardcover- No Jacketunmeasuredunmeasured
Malta in British and French Caricature 1798-1815Oxford in 1578MatchAgas, Ralph; Whittlesey, Robert (engraver)Map, Facsimileyesoffice/project*With south at the top
Ralph Agas's map of Oxford engraved by Robert Whittlesey. Held at the Bodleian Library, Gough maps Oxon. 1.
No dateOxford, UKBodleian LibraryGoodMap Drawers
Folder 10 Facsimiles II
Map, Facsimile23.25"17.25"
Maze of Ingenuity : ideas and idealism in the development of technologyWisconsin Survey Bulletin 71 Geology of Gogebic Iron Range of WINoAldrichNot mentionedBook, Hardcover- No Jacketyesoffice/project*1929Madison, WIState of WisconsinGoodWisconsinBook, Hardcover- No Jacketunmeasuredunmeasured
MythologiesChanging Image of the CityMatchAlkhoven, PatriciaBook, Paperbackyesoffice/project*With a note to David from the author1993NetherlandsCanalettoGoodAlkhovPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured
Perspective of the WorldPedro Reinel Me FezMatchAmaral, Joachim Ferreira doBook, Paperbackyesoffice/project*Card from author "with compliments" Signed to DW by author1995Lisboa (Lisbon), PortugalQuetzalGoodAmaralPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured
Pope, His Banker & VeniceSud Italia da Roma a MessinaMatchAmbrico, Mario, Ed.Mapyesoffice/project*Colored, coated paper thumb tacks marks in the corners. Has been foldedNo dateBari, Italia (Italy)Favia,GoodMap Drawers
Folder 3 "General Interest and Unusual maps"
Map24.5"33.75"
Power/KnowledgePriciples of NavigationMatchAnderson, E. W.Book, Hardcover - Jacketyesoffice/project*1966New York, NYAmerican ElsevierGoodAnderson eBook, Hardcover - Jacketunmeasuredunmeasured
Prints as Propaganda. The German ReformationPrinted Image and the Transformation of Popular Culture 1790 -1860MatchAnderson, PatriciaBook, Paperbackyesoffice/project*1991UKOxford University PressGoodAnderson PPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured
Quiddities : an Intermittently Philosophical DictionaryPoem "Do not stand at my grave and weep"NoAnonymousPrivate pressyesoffice/project*Printed by DW either in Chicago or MadisonNo dateChicago, ILCherryburn or Juniper PressExcellent/Like NewMap Drawers; DW Art Work, Poster/keepsake folderOther7.25"10"
Redding 1540 -1640; A Portrait of a CommunityWhat a Wonderful World Catalogue 105NoAntiquaariat ForumDealer’s catalogyesoffice/project*1998Utrecht, NetherlandsAntiquaariatGoodAntiquCatalog, Proceedingsunmeasuredunmeasured
Romance of Wisconsin Place NamesVisio MundiMatchApa, MarianoBook, Hardcover - Jacketyesoffice/project*1986Urbino, ItalyQuattro VentiGoodApa, oversizedBook, Hardcover - Jacketunmeasuredunmeasured
Science and SocietyMuseo Communale di Gubbio-IncisioniMatchArmeni, Cristina, and Cristina FalcucciNot notedBookyesoffice/project*Letter from one of the Authors to David giving him the book1993Umbria, ItalyElectaGoodGubbioCatalog, Proceedingsunmeasuredunmeasured
Science of MeasurementStatistiken als Grundlage wirtschaftskartographischer Arbeiten
Festchrift Leopold G. Scheidl zum 60 Geurtstag
MatchArneberger, ErikReprint, Offprintyesoffice/project*Presumably used for his map design course
1965Wein (Vienna) AustriaMiteilungen der Osterrichischen Geographischen GesellschaftGoodMap Boxes: Map Design (per DW) unsortedPamphlet, Article, ReviewNANA
Settlers of Dane CountyThematische Kartographie: Graphik - Konzeption - TechnikNoArneberger, Erik, Kretschmer, IngridReprint, Offprintyesoffice/project*Presumably used for his map design course
Signed by author
1978Wein (Vienna) AustriaMiteilungen der Osterrichischen Geographischen GesellschaftGoodMap Boxes: Map Design (per DW) unsortedPamphlet, Article, ReviewNANA
Sickness and Health in AmericaDynamics of Architectural FormNoArnheim, RudolfBook, Paperbackyesoffice/project*1977Berkeley, CAUniversity of CaliforniaGoodArnheimRPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured
Social History of TruthNew Essays on the Psychology of ArtMatchArnheim, RudolfBook, Paperbackyesoffice/project*1986Berkeley, CAUniversity of CaliforniaGoodArnheimRPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured
Spirit Pond RunestonesVisual ThinkingMatchArnheim, RudolfBook, Paperbackyesoffice/project*1969Berkeley, CAUniversity of CaliforniaGoodArnheimRPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured
Studi in Memoria di Teofilo Ossian De Negri [Genoese historian]Eton Comparative Atlas of Ancient & Modern GeographyNoArrowsmithAtlas/Geographyonly if maps not dated 1841office/project*Front cover loose. Binding very worn1828London, UKArrowsmithPoorAtlas-EAtlas/Geographyunmeasuredunmeasured
University College of Swansea, an Illustrated HistoryKarttu Production Model of the Basic MapMatchArtimo, JukkaTypescriptyesoffice/project*Presumably used for his map design course
Typewritten manuscript
Paper presented to the 9th ICHC Washington, DC
1978Newcastle, UKUniv. Newcastle, UKGoodMap Boxes: Map Design (per DW) unsortedOtherNANA
Varieties of Cultural HistoryLe Arti e i Mestieri di FirenzeMatchArtusi, LucianoBook, Hardcover - Jacketyesoffice/project*1990Roma (Rome) ItalyNewton ComptonGoodArtusiBook, Hardcover - Jacketunmeasuredunmeasured
Watts Divine Songs for the Use of ChildrenClock We Live OnMatchAsimov, Isaac1st Collier edBook, Paperbackyesoffice/project*1963New York, NYCollierGoodAsimovPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured
Welsh Hills - WaukeshaJ. B.NoAstengo, DomenicaPrivate pressyesoffice/project*Funny graphics1981Albissola, italyStampiera del FrantoioGoodPrivate press boxArt Bookunmeasuredunmeasured
Wisconsin Land and LifeR. H. M. Robert Hunter Middleton, Memorial ServiceMatchAudioTapeAudio tapeyesoffice/project*1984Chicago, ILNot applicableGoodM pamphlet boxOtherNANA
Manhattan in Maps 1556 - 1990NoAugustyn, Robert T. and Cohen, Paul E.Not applicablePosteryesoffice/project*Exhibition poster1990 ?New York, NYRizzoliGoodMap Drawers
Folder 8 Posters
Painting, Poster18"22"
Some Sixteenth Century Watermarks Found in Maps Prevalent in the IATO AtlasesNoB pamphlet boxNot applicableBook, Paperbackyesoffice/project*With David's copies & Notes inside front cover1939Jenkintown, PAGeorge Beans LibraryGoodB pamphlet boxPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured

Upvote 0
Sorry, I read your second posting first. Didn't know this would allow me to cut and paste.
Breaking of the Circle Studies on the Effect of the "New Science" Upon Seventeenth Century Poetry"Royal" Road Book of EnglandMatchNot ApplicableMapyesoffice/project*Strip/contour route map1890London, UKGall and InglisFairAtlas room; Small atlas shelf RMap6"3.5"
Consumption of Culture 1600-1800Malta in British and French Caricature 1798-1815MatchGanado, Albert and Sammut, joseph C.FirstBook, Hardcover - Jacketyesoffice/project*Given to DW by Alfred Ganado1989MaltaSAID International Ltd.Goodganado oversizedBook, Hardcover - Jacketunmeasuredunmeasured
History of Popular Culture to 1815Spirit Pond RunestonesMatchChapman, PaulVol 22 part 11Book, Paperbackyesoffice/project*Letter from Author1994Atlanta, GAEsopGoodchapmanPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured
Holy Delight: Typology, Numerology & Autobiography in Donne's Devotions Upon Emergent OccasionsWisconsin Land and LifeNoOstergren, Robert and Vale, ThomasBook, Hardcover- No Jacketyesoffice/project*Signed by one of the authors to DW1997Madison, WIUniversity of Wisconsin PressExcellent/Like NewOsterBook, Hardcover- No Jacketunmeasuredunmeasured
Hymns and Spiritual SongsConsumption of Culture 1600-1800NoBermingham, Ann and Brewer, John, Eds.Not notedBook, Paperbackyesoffice/project*1995London, UK and New York, NYRoutledgeGoodbermPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured
Introduction of Arabic Learning into England; The Panizzi Lectures 1996Reading, Ordnance Survey: Sheet SU 67/77MatchNot Applicable1:25,000 Pathfinder Series of Great BritainMapyesoffice/project*1 map 40 x 80 cm, folded to 24 x 13 cm
Maps, Tourist; Maps, Topographic
1980Southampton, UKDirector General of the Ordnance SurveyGoodMap Boxes:More recent UK & EuropeMap40 cm80 cm
John Donne, A Literary LifeTicket and Sign WritingMatch"Scripto"Book, Paperbackyesoffice/project*Pamphlet styleCa1960London, UKHotspur PressGoodS pamphlet boxPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured
Literary TheoryUniversale NovoMatch? Mercator world mapMap, Facsimileyesoffice/project*Engraved, printed and hand colored by Zsolt Torek, "for Rosalind Woodward with love" & given as a gift to RLW when he was visiting as a Woodward Fellow in Jan 20072007Budapest, HungaryZsolt Torek for the International Conference for the History of Cartography 2005Excellent/Like NewMap drawers:TechniquesMap, Facsimile13.75"10"
Lure of Antiquity and the Cult of the MachineHistory of AstronomyMatchAbetti, GiorgioBook, Hardcover - Jacketyesoffice/project*1952London, UKAbelard SchumanGoodAbettiBook, Hardcover - Jacketunmeasuredunmeasured
Madison, A Model CityBirth & Development of the Geological SciencesMatchAdams, Frank DawsonBook, Paperbackyesoffice/project*1954New York, NYDoverNewAdams, FPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured
Mahogany Ship, Relic or Legend?Little Book of Map ProjectionMatchAdams, MaryBook, Hardcover- No Jacketyesoffice/project*Cloth, hard cover, Spine binding torn1914London, UKGeorge PhilipFairAdams, MBook, Hardcover- No Jacketunmeasuredunmeasured
Malta in British and French Caricature 1798-1815Oxford in 1578MatchAgas, Ralph; Whittlesey, Robert (engraver)Map, Facsimileyesoffice/project*With south at the top
Ralph Agas's map of Oxford engraved by Robert Whittlesey. Held at the Bodleian Library, Gough maps Oxon. 1.
No dateOxford, UKBodleian LibraryGoodMap Drawers
Folder 10 Facsimiles II
Map, Facsimile23.25"17.25"
Maze of Ingenuity : ideas and idealism in the development of technologyWisconsin Survey Bulletin 71 Geology of Gogebic Iron Range of WINoAldrichNot mentionedBook, Hardcover- No Jacketyesoffice/project*1929Madison, WIState of WisconsinGoodWisconsinBook, Hardcover- No Jacketunmeasuredunmeasured
MythologiesChanging Image of the CityMatchAlkhoven, PatriciaBook, Paperbackyesoffice/project*With a note to David from the author1993NetherlandsCanalettoGoodAlkhovPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured
Perspective of the WorldPedro Reinel Me FezMatchAmaral, Joachim Ferreira doBook, Paperbackyesoffice/project*Card from author "with compliments" Signed to DW by author1995Lisboa (Lisbon), PortugalQuetzalGoodAmaralPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured
Pope, His Banker & VeniceSud Italia da Roma a MessinaMatchAmbrico, Mario, Ed.Mapyesoffice/project*Colored, coated paper thumb tacks marks in the corners. Has been foldedNo dateBari, Italia (Italy)Favia,GoodMap Drawers
Folder 3 "General Interest and Unusual maps"
Map24.5"33.75"
Power/KnowledgePriciples of NavigationMatchAnderson, E. W.Book, Hardcover - Jacketyesoffice/project*1966New York, NYAmerican ElsevierGoodAnderson eBook, Hardcover - Jacketunmeasuredunmeasured
Prints as Propaganda. The German ReformationPrinted Image and the Transformation of Popular Culture 1790 -1860MatchAnderson, PatriciaBook, Paperbackyesoffice/project*1991UKOxford University PressGoodAnderson PPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured
Quiddities : an Intermittently Philosophical DictionaryPoem "Do not stand at my grave and weep"NoAnonymousPrivate pressyesoffice/project*Printed by DW either in Chicago or MadisonNo dateChicago, ILCherryburn or Juniper PressExcellent/Like NewMap Drawers; DW Art Work, Poster/keepsake folderOther7.25"10"
Redding 1540 -1640; A Portrait of a CommunityWhat a Wonderful World Catalogue 105NoAntiquaariat ForumDealer’s catalogyesoffice/project*1998Utrecht, NetherlandsAntiquaariatGoodAntiquCatalog, Proceedingsunmeasuredunmeasured
Romance of Wisconsin Place NamesVisio MundiMatchApa, MarianoBook, Hardcover - Jacketyesoffice/project*1986Urbino, ItalyQuattro VentiGoodApa, oversizedBook, Hardcover - Jacketunmeasuredunmeasured
Science and SocietyMuseo Communale di Gubbio-IncisioniMatchArmeni, Cristina, and Cristina FalcucciNot notedBookyesoffice/project*Letter from one of the Authors to David giving him the book1993Umbria, ItalyElectaGoodGubbioCatalog, Proceedingsunmeasuredunmeasured
Science of MeasurementStatistiken als Grundlage wirtschaftskartographischer Arbeiten
MatchArneberger, ErikReprint, Offprintyesoffice/project*Presumably used for his map design course
1965Wein (Vienna) AustriaMiteilungen der Osterrichischen Geographischen GesellschaftGoodMap Boxes: Map Design (per DW) unsortedPamphlet, Article, ReviewNANA
Settlers of Dane CountyThematische Kartographie: Graphik - Konzeption - TechnikNoArneberger, Erik, Kretschmer, IngridReprint, Offprintyesoffice/project*Presumably used for his map design course
Signed by author
1978Wein (Vienna) AustriaMiteilungen der Osterrichischen Geographischen GesellschaftGoodMap Boxes: Map Design (per DW) unsortedPamphlet, Article, ReviewNANA
Sickness and Health in AmericaDynamics of Architectural FormNoArnheim, RudolfBook, Paperbackyesoffice/project*1977Berkeley, CAUniversity of CaliforniaGoodArnheimRPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured
Social History of TruthNew Essays on the Psychology of ArtMatchArnheim, RudolfBook, Paperbackyesoffice/project*1986Berkeley, CAUniversity of CaliforniaGoodArnheimRPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured
Spirit Pond RunestonesVisual ThinkingMatchArnheim, RudolfBook, Paperbackyesoffice/project*1969Berkeley, CAUniversity of CaliforniaGoodArnheimRPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured
Studi in Memoria di Teofilo Ossian De Negri [Genoese historian]Eton Comparative Atlas of Ancient & Modern GeographyNoArrowsmithAtlas/Geographyonly if maps not dated 1841office/project*Front cover loose. Binding very worn1828London, UKArrowsmithPoorAtlas-EAtlas/Geographyunmeasuredunmeasured
University College of Swansea, an Illustrated HistoryKarttu Production Model of the Basic MapMatchArtimo, JukkaTypescriptyesoffice/project*Presumably used for his map design course
Typewritten manuscript
Paper presented to the 9th ICHC Washington, DC
1978Newcastle, UKUniv. Newcastle, UKGoodMap Boxes: Map Design (per DW) unsortedOtherNANA
Varieties of Cultural HistoryLe Arti e i Mestieri di FirenzeMatchArtusi, LucianoBook, Hardcover - Jacketyesoffice/project*1990Roma (Rome) ItalyNewton ComptonGoodArtusiBook, Hardcover - Jacketunmeasuredunmeasured
Watts Divine Songs for the Use of ChildrenClock We Live OnMatchAsimov, Isaac1st Collier edBook, Paperbackyesoffice/project*1963New York, NYCollierGoodAsimovPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured
Welsh Hills - WaukeshaJ. B.NoAstengo, DomenicaPrivate pressyesoffice/project*Funny graphics1981Albissola, italyStampiera del FrantoioGoodPrivate press boxArt Bookunmeasuredunmeasured
Wisconsin Land and LifeR. H. M. Robert Hunter Middleton, Memorial ServiceMatchAudioTapeAudio tapeyesoffice/project*1984Chicago, ILNot applicableGoodM pamphlet boxOtherNANA
Manhattan in Maps 1556 - 1990NoAugustyn, Robert T. and Cohen, Paul E.Not applicablePosteryesoffice/project*Exhibition poster1990 ?New York, NYRizzoliGoodMap Drawers
Folder 8 Posters
Painting, Poster18"22"
Some Sixteenth Century Watermarks Found in Maps Prevalent in the IATO AtlasesNoB pamphlet boxNot applicableBook, Paperbackyesoffice/project*With David's copies & Notes inside front cover1939Jenkintown, PAGeorge Beans LibraryGoodB pamphlet boxPaperbackunmeasuredunmeasured
Sorry, I wanted to add this to the sentence above the spreadsheet, but couldn't do that. I'm sending you 35 lines or so, which includes all the entries in Column A. These are to be matched with Column B which contains some 1260 lines, but I've "salted" the selection of Column B so includes at least a few matches.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back