Match to a list with wildcards

The Gent

Board Regular
Good day all,

I am trying to do something which it my head feels quite simple but I can't get a result.

I have four dimensions in a spreadsheet report, lets say: make; model; fuel; engine.

Separately i have a list of exclusions which is a series of the four dimensions that I want to strip out of the report when analysing the report.

My exclusions list is also four dimensions but I want to be able to use wildcards to exclude certain combinations of the report.

The plan is to have a match function in the original report and use a flag to highlight those rows which match the criteria on the exclusions list. In the example below, on the exclusions list I want to exclude any row which has six as the engine, therefore I have used wildcards on the exclusions list for all other dimensions. This doesn't seem to work though.

Any ideas?

For example:

ReportExclusion
MakeModelFuelEngineExclude?MakeModelFuelEngine
FordFiestaPetrolFour***Six
FordMondeoDieselFour
ToyotaYarisPetrolTwo
JaguarFPetrolSixX
VolkswagonPoloDieselFour

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Try again:

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(MMULT((B3:E3=$J$3:$M$5)+($J$3:$M$5=""),{1;1;1;1})=4)),"X","")

Upvote 0
Try again:

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(MMULT((B3:E3=$J$3:$M$5)+($J$3:$M$5=""),{1;1;1;1})=4)),"X","")
This is working on my simple example but when I apply it to my larger dataset it fails...

Excel Formula:
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(MMULT((D2252,F2252,AO2252,AT2252=EXCLUSIONS!A:A,EXCLUSIONS!B:B,EXCLUSIONS!I:I,EXCLUSIONS!L:L)+(EXCLUSIONS!A:A,EXCLUSIONS!B:B,EXCLUSIONS!I:I,EXCLUSIONS!L:L=""),{1;1;1;1})=4)),"X","")

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Picking up on an earlier suggestion, you could use four MATCH functions to check for match including wildcards.

If I understand the requirement correctly, this would allow you to exclude for example Jaguar or Jag.
For Jag just type Jag*, for example.

Adjust the range for your set up.

Excel Formula:
=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH($F$3,A3,0))+ISNUMBER(MATCH($G$3,B3,0))+ISNUMBER(MATCH($H$3,C3,0))+ISNUMBER(MATCH($I$3,D3,0))>0,"X","")

Upvote 0
To add that if you want to have the wildcards automatically included, I would suggest you use a helper row to surround the match text with asterisks.
for example
Excel Formula:
=“*” & $H$3 &  “*”

Upvote 0
Picking up on an earlier suggestion, you could use four MATCH functions to check for match including wildcards.

If I understand the requirement correctly, this would allow you to exclude for example Jaguar or Jag.
For Jag just type Jag*, for example.

Adjust the range for your set up.

Excel Formula:
=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH($F$3,A3,0))+ISNUMBER(MATCH($G$3,B3,0))+ISNUMBER(MATCH($H$3,C3,0))+ISNUMBER(MATCH($I$3,D3,0))>0,"X","")
Hi,

Unfortunately this excludes items even with a partial match...

I will try to use an example from my real data set now.

When I use the above formula it returns the X flag for all items as at least one field is always in the exclusions list.

Below I have shown what the desired X flags would be.

Sheet 1 - Report​
Column D​
Column F​
Column AO​
Column AT​
Desired Result​
d05​
PL00693​
CA000993​
MA​
d05​
PL00693​
CA001715​
EW​
X​
d05​
PL00693​
CA001715​
MA​
X​
d05​
PL00693​
CA001190​
EW​

Sheet 2 - Exclusions List​
Column A​
Column B​
Column I​
Column L​
d05​
PL00693​
CA001190​
MA​
d05​
PL00693​
CA001511​
*​
d05​
PL00693​
CA001715​
*​
d05​
PL00693​
CA000984​
*​

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I think this is going to burnout my file though, I should have mentioned I have ~40k rows of data in each report and so it doesn't seem to be able to cope with this.
I tried the formula on 100K rows and it seems to work. How many exclusions are we talking about? I went up to nearly 20K and all my rows were calculated in under 3 seconds.

EDIT: Wait, it did not, my Excel was in freeze modus, I did not even notice. :eek:

Maybe an alternative with Power Query or VBA would be more appropriate?

Upvote 0
I tried the formula on 100K rows and it seems to work. How many exclusions are we talking about? I went up to nearly 20K and all my rows were calculated in under 3 seconds.

EDIT: Wait, it did not, my Excel was in freeze modus, I did not even notice. :eek:

Maybe an alternative with Power Query or VBA would be more appropriate?
My report is 45k rows and the exclusions are limited to <100.

Upvote 0
This seems to work well...

Excel Formula:
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(MMULT((D6:G6=$M$5:$P$8)+($M$5:$P$8=""),{1;1;1;1})=4)),"X","")

However, this doesn't...

Excel Formula:
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(MMULT((D6,E6,F6,G6=$M$5:$P$8)+($M$5:$P$8=""),{1;1;1;1})=4)),"X","")

How can I get this to work when the columns in the report are not alongside each other?

Upvote 0
I am not clear on your exclusion criteria. I understood that you wished to include partial matches.
Why is the MA line not matched?
Are you looking for a match on all columns with the option to have any characters in one or more columns?
If so, change the > 0 to > 3 in the formula I posted.
And link to a 2nd row with the * asterisk wildcard formulas as I mentioned above.
then insert the search terms in the original row. The row below will have eg *Jag* which will be what the match formula looks for.

Typing this on iPhone without Excel.

Just input another character such as # to instead of leaving criteria cells blank, assuming you don’t use the # character in any of the data fields.

Edit: how many exclusions are you looking at?
An alternative method might be to use advanced filter to identify the exclusion rows.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanakoro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back