Matching and combining info

damita

I have two Excel files that each contain a column of common information (an id number). Each file contains different information for the same id numbers. I need to match up the id number from both files and then combine the information from both files into one. This seemed like an easy task, however, I have had no luck figuring it out. I don't need to do any calculations of the columns just match up the same id number information.

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
On 2002-08-24 12:41, damita wrote:
I have two Excel files that each contain a column of common information (an id number). Each file contains different information for the same id numbers. I need to match up the id number from both files and then combine the information from both files into one. This seemed like an easy task, however, I have had no luck figuring it out. I don't need to do any calculations of the columns just match up the same id number information.

Hi damita:

Welcome to the Board!

Some more information is needed -- would the information in two files for the same ID be unique, or could it be same; in the resulting file would you want to capture all the information or only the unique set of values; how would the information be laid out?

It would help if you will post some sample data, and your desired layout. If the problem can be clearly understod, I am sure you are going to get meaningful help.

Regards!

Yogi

Upvote 0
File #1 contains the following columns: unique id, name, address, etc.
File #2 contains columns with the unique id number (which corresponds to the id number that is included with the first file) and a voter history.
I need to match up the voter history with the name and address. The voter history file does not contain the name, etc. so the only way to match the two is the id number.
There are approx 11,500 rows in file #1 and 65,000 rows in file #2. File #2 has more rows because an id number may appear more than once depending on number of elections that were voted in.

File #1 sample data
FL00000408, First Name, Last Name, Address
1987533, First Name, Last Name, Address

File #2 sample data
FL00000416, 4/10/02, LANESBORO SPECIAL ELECTION
5758973, 11/3/98, State General
5758973, 11/5/96, State General
5765250, 11/4/97, School Board Election
5765250, 4/23/02, ISD #239 RUSHFORD-PETERSON BOND

I need to combine the voter history information with the name address information.

Hopefully this information will help clarify the problem.

Upvote 0
Hi damita:

The sample data you provided does not have any common ID's -- it would help to see some data with the common IDs so one can see the layout of the data in the two files.

I believe for every unique ID in File#1, there could be several associated records in File# 2.

Have you considered using a Pivot Table, Advanced Filter, or Database functions?

Please post more relevant data, and also post what have you tried so far, what results you have got, and what results you would like to get.

Regards!

Yogi

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back