mattyn

Board Regular
Hi again All!I have a worksheet - column A is a list of actual football scores in the format digit.space.digit such as >1 1<.Column B is a list of score predictions, in the same format.Column C is looking for identical matches - i.e. where the score is an exact match and I use the following: -if(A1=B1,"1","0").I want column D to look for correct results (i.e draw, home win or away win) - in the above example, if Column B says 2 2 or 0 0 for instance, then to give me a 1.If column A says 1 0 for instance, and column B says 5 0, i want column D to give me a 1.If column A says 0 3 for instance, and column B says 0 1, i want column D to give me a 1.If column D does not match the draw/Home win/Away Win, I want column D to give me a 0.Hope this makes sense - can anyone advise and help please????many thanks in advance.Matt

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Hi again All!

I have a worksheet - column A is a list of actual football scores in the format digit.space.digit such as >1 1<.

Column B is a list of score predictions, in the same format.

Column C is looking for identical matches - i.e. where the score is an exact match and I use the following: -if(A1=B1,"1","0").

I want column D to look for correct results (i.e draw, home win or away win) - in the above example, if Column B says 2 2 or 0 0 for instance, then to give me a 1. If column A says 1 0 for instance, and column B says 5 0, i want column D to give me a 1. If column A says 0 3 for instance, and column B says 0 1, i want column D to give me a 1.

If column D does not match the draw/Home win/Away Win, I want column D to give me a 0.

Hope this makes sense - can anyone advise and help please????

many thanks in advance.

Matt

Edit: Bumped because of poor formatting above!!

Upvote 0
...if Column B says 2 2 or 0 0 for instance, then to give me a 1. If column A says 1 0 for instance, and column B says 5 0, i want column D to give me a 1. If column A says 0 3 for instance, and column B says 0 1, i want column D to give me a 1.
That seems to me to be saying that whether it is a draw, home win or away win, column D would have a 1. I suspect that is not what you want so perhaps you could give us, say, 5-10 rows of sample data, the expected results and further explanation why they are the expected results. My signature block below has help on how to provide sample data that we can use to test with.

Upvote 0
Hi Peter/All

OK sample data - apologies for not doing this first time round!

ABCD
1Actual scorePredicted ScoreCorrect ScoreCorrect Result
22 22 211
30 01 101
41 10 200
50 30 101
61 21 211
70 12 200
81 00 000
94 02 101
103 13 111

<tbody>
</tbody>
getting a "1" in Col C I can do by =IF(B2=A2,"1","0").

how do I get the "1" or "0" in Col D?

I hope this now makes sense?

Matt

Upvote 0
I can do by =IF(B2=A2,"1","0")
When dealing with numbers I would recommend not enclosing them in "". So instead
=IF(B2=A2,1,0)
Another way is shown below, along with a formula for "correct result".

Excel Workbook
ABCD
1Actual scorePredicted ScoreCorrect ScoreCorrect Result
22 22 211
30 01 101
41 10 200
50 30 101
61 21 211
70 12 200
81 00 000
94 02 101
103 13 111
Check Scores

The above is based on your original information that the scores would all be single digits. If you think double-digit scores would be possible, the formula for "correct result" gets a bit more complex:
=--(SIGN(LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2))-REPLACE(A2,1,FIND(" ",A2),""))=SIGN(LEFT(B2,FIND(" ",B2))-REPLACE(B2,1,FIND(" ",B2),"")))

Upvote 0
Immense Peter - thank you so so much!

I will try this later and see if I can get it to work!

Cheers

Matt

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back