Matching data on multiple sheets

LostinVA

Hi All -

Is there a way to compare data in a column of one workbook tab with data on another tab (multiple columns) to see if there are ANY matches in the string of data??

For example:

Sheet 1, Cell A1: "Red, Yellow, Car, Truck"
Sheet 2, Column A is "Color" and Column B is "Vehicle Type"
- Column A contains the value "Red" in cell A15
- Column B contains the value "Car" in cell B5 and the value "Truck" in cell B10.

So on the first tab, is there a way to identify that "Red", "Car", and "Truck" were a match to data from Sheet 2?

My apologies if this doesn't quite make sense, I'm having a hard time describing my ask.

Appreciate any help you all can provide. Thank you!

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
This is based on your narrative of your objective.
VBA Code:
Sub t()
Dim ary As Variant, i As Long, fn
ary = Split(Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value, ",")
    For i = LBound(ary) To UBound(ary)
        Set fn = Intersect(Sheets("Sheet2").UsedRange, Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A:B")).Find(Trim(ary(i)), , xlValues, xlWhole)
            If Not fn Is Nothing Then fn.Interior.Color = vbYellow
    Next
End Sub

It will find matches for the strings listed in cell A1 of sheet 1 by looking in columns A & B of sheet 2. If found the cell will be colored yellow. You would then need to manually remover the color when you have finished that session so it will not be misleading in future sessions.

Upvote 0
Hi! Thanks for your reply.

I added the code and modified slightly to update tab names and extend the range on Sheet 2 and there weren't any yellow highlights so not sure it worked as intended? To modify this slightly, is there a way I could have any 'matches' between Sheet 1, cell A1 and data in Sheet 2 be listed on Sheet 1, cell B1? So instead of highlighting matches yellow, the actual matches would be listed?

Appreciate your help!

Upvote 0
Hi! Thanks for your reply.

I added the code and modified slightly to update tab names and extend the range on Sheet 2 and there weren't any yellow highlights so not sure it worked as intended? To modify this slightly, is there a way I could have any 'matches' between Sheet 1, cell A1 and data in Sheet 2 be listed on Sheet 1, cell B1? So instead of highlighting matches yellow, the actual matches would be listed?

Appreciate your help!
Post your current code please.

Upvote 0
It's what you provided but changed the Sheet names and extended the range on the second sheet to A:L
I have zip for experience so I'm sure I completely missed something.

Sub t()
Dim ary As Variant, i As Long, fn
ary = Split(Sheets("ENNI_list").Range("A1").Value, ",")
Set fn = Intersect(Sheets("Interconnects").UsedRange, Sheets("Interconnects").Range("A:L")).Find(Trim(ary(i)), , xlValues, xlWhole)
If Not fn Is Nothing Then fn.Interior.Color = vbYellow
Next
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks Sharid! I'm an extreme amateur.. I barely know how to enter the code in VBA. Would you be able to modify your code to fit my data?

First tab - 'ENNI_list' with data in column A
Second tab - 'Interconnects' with data in columns A - L

I would like to take the cell data from the first tab in A1 and identity any "matches" with data from the second tab, all cells in columns A - L. Any "matches" would be listed on the first tab, cell B1

I believe the code that JLGWhiz provided was going to highlight any "matches" yellow on the second tab. I'm hoping to have them listed in the first tab (B1). Not sure if that's possible or not.

Thank you!

Upvote 0
this worked for two sheets in the same workbook. If your sheets are in different workbooks, then the workbook reference has to precede the sheet reference to distinguish which is which.
VBA Code:
Sub t2()
 Dim ary As Variant, i As Long, fn As Range, rng As Range
 ary = Split(Sheets("ENNI_list").Range("A1").Value, ",")
 Set rng = Sheets("ENNI_list").Range("B1")
        Set fn = Intersect(Sheets("Interconnects").UsedRange, Sheets("Interconnects").Range("A:L")).Find(Trim(ary(i)), , xlValues, xlWhole)
        If Not fn Is Nothing Then rng = rng.Value & ", " & fn.Value
    Next
rng = Mid(rng.Value, 3)
 End Sub

Upvote 0
I'm no expert, I have made some changes to the code, you can download From this link. I have changed some of Fluffs code, hope it helps.

I have also added comments to the code have a read, if you want to make changes

Upvote 0
I don't want to hijack this post, but is it possible to highlight via colour on sheet two what is NOT matched, as that was a requirement i believe. I could not do this as it was out of my depth and on a personal reason, I would want this as it matches records but its hard to work out what was not matched especially if you have a large data set.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back