1/1/2020JohnJackMichael
1/2/2020JackTimJeffShawn
1/1/2020TimJeff
1/3/2020DavidJohnTimTom
1/2/2020JohnMichael
1/2/2020JimShawn
1/1/2020DavidDavidShawn
1/3/2020MichaelJack

I need to match each one of these people to their role on their team (let's say, "Manager", "Member" and "Other" based on a second vertical dataset. Let's also assume, that each of the people can be in any of the 3 roles for any given "shift". (but just on one role for that shift).
so, for example
DateNameRole
1/1/2020TimManager
1/1/2020JohnMember
1/1/2020JackManager
1/12020MichaelOther
1/2/2020JohnOther
1/2/2020TomMember
1/2/2020TimManager
1/3/2020DavidMember
1/3/2020JohnMember

.Let's also assume that each of the "jobs" (on the first table), might or might not have a manger (usually if there is no manager, than the only name that appears is an "other":
Please also note that the tables are not exactly equal (there is some data missing in the second table, that exists in the first).

I want to match the second table with the first one, so that I can create an additional table of the same size as the first (9x6), but instead of names, I will see the roles they play. so for example in the first row instead of the names John, Jack and Michael, I will see Member, Manager, Other

I appreciate any help on this one.

Thanks!!

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
something like this?
role.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks. Close but not quite. I need the content but not the header, because there are actually hundreds of names. and they need to be in the same order as they appear on the first table (so in the first row, it will be filled for the first 3 columns, and for the second row, for the first 4 columns.
Does that make sense?

Upvote 0
create an additional table of the same size as the first (9x6), but instead of names, I will see the roles they play.
If what sandy666 has posted is not the desired result, please provide the full expected 9x6 result table with any further clarification about how the values in it are obtained manually

Edit: Oops, the last 2 posts made while I was procrastinating about mine. :)

Upvote 0
Sure, expected result here (let's assume for the first row only)

DateRole 1Role 2Role 3Role 4Role 5
MemberManagerOther

Upvote 0
Let me clarify, there is a finite number of roles for each row (usually 2-3, but could go up to 8 or 9 in rare occasions), but there are hundreds of names, which is why I don't want those hundreds of names to create a new column, but just to have the maximum of 8-9 (and usually 2-3) columns

Upvote 0
Yes, something like that.
I am sorry that my example is not great (which is why I only solved for the first row,), but yes indeed - something like that would be perfect.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back