Mater file (locked) with subfiles

johnson6003

Hi all,

I'm pretty sure this isn't the most difficult task, but I can't quite figure it out.

I need 5 or 6 single sheet workbooks all with the same 20 columns, but each with different sections of data below and of varying lengths (some to be chosen from spedific drop down lists) , all linking and updating a master file from which I can pull reports. The 5 or 6 will have specific permissions so that access to them is limited. The master will be totally password protected and unaccessible to those who have access to any one of the 5 or 6 outlying workbooks.

Basically I need it so that if a row is added, or a cell information amended, etc, in one of the 5 or 6 spreadsheets that it automatically is added/altered on the master spreadsheet.

If possible, I'd love to be able to work it the other way too, so that if I amended the master, it would update the 5 or 6 linked workbooks (but that is probably contradictory).

Anyone know a simple way to do any of this? Sorry for being so longwinded about something so straight forward!

Thanks

J

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Welcome to the board.
If the master workbook only contains text then you could have the master workbook update itself when it is opened by saving a backup copy, deleting existing data, opening each support document, copying the appropriate block of data and pasting it to the master and closing each support document.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back