Math Conversion Help: Acres to Miles

KuraiChikara

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, I am trying to create a conversion for how many acres are essentially in a straight mile.
I know the acre is compared to squared miles such as 640 acres = 1 square mile.

My issue is that I'm not looking for squared anything (feet, meters, miles, none of that).
I'm looking for a comparative conversation like 5,280 feet = 1 mile, 12 inches = 1 foot, 1 centimeter = 10 millimeters, etc
Similarly, I would want the following answer of 1 acre = how many straight miles?

I can't seem to figure it out.

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
An acre is an area measurement whereas a mile is a linear measurement... there is no way to convert from one to the other as they are completely different things (in essence, your question is equivalent to asking how many rulers are there in a sheet of paper).

Upvote 0
I dont agree with your logic because there are adjustable units. Like a piece of paper, its "like" unit is its size, if it's 6 inches then a 1' ft ruler = 2 papers. Same with acers to miles. 1 acer = 43,560 square feet. Now that area could be broken up in any dimensional sense which is why the measurement cant be expressed in length or distance. But 43,560 square feet, could be 208.7103 feet (208.7103 ft x 208.7103 ft =43,599.98 ft squared) and if there are 5,280 feet in a mile, going off of the total feet within the area using 43,560 feet / 5,280 ft per mile = 8.25 miles. I know it can be done because there is a calculateable amount of feet in an acre which is a fact, and then that footage simply gets divided into how many feet are in a mile. I just dont know how to express it cleanly.

Upvote 0
I dont agree with your logic because there are adjustable units. Like a piece of paper, its "like" unit is its size, if it's 6 inches then a 1' ft ruler = 2 papers. Same with acers to miles. 1 acer = 43,560 square feet. Now that area could be broken up in any dimensional sense which is why the measurement cant be expressed in length or distance. But 43,560 square feet, could be 208.7103 feet (208.7103 ft x 208.7103 ft =43,599.98 ft squared) and if there are 5,280 feet in a mile, going off of the total feet within the area using 43,560 feet / 5,280 ft per mile = 8.25 miles. I know it can be done because there is a calculateable amount of feet in an acre which is a fact, and then that footage simply gets divided into how many feet are in a mile. I just dont know how to express it cleanly.
In your argument, you're confusing "square feet" with "feet" (linear). A square foot is a "Visible Area", a linear foot is "Invisible", it's just a distance between 2 points.
If you believe they can be measured in the same manner, in your opinion, let's make it simple, how many Foot is in 1 Square Foot?

When you figure that out, I'd also like to know how to grow apples on my orange tree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"how many Foot is in 1 Square Foot?" - it depends how thick the feet are ;)

Upvote 0
Hello, I am trying to create a conversion for how many acres are essentially in a straight mile.
I know the acre is compared to squared miles such as 640 acres = 1 square mile.
I can't seem to figure it out.
It's surprising you can't figure it out, since there aren't any. Despite your naysaying, Rick has given you the correct answer. It's a bit like asking what's the difference between a round acre and a straight one...

Upvote 0
Ok, may be I'm pushing it...

How many Cubic Feet is in a Square Mile?

Upvote 0
how many round acres in a square mile... now there's one you CAN answer :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VanGirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back