Math Problem

Todd Bardoni

The Scorchio Thief was tired of the small change he was getting from the cashiers at the National Bank, so he broke in one night to raid the vault. When he got there, he came to a combination lock on the vault, with the dial numbers going from 0 to 59. Unfortunately, he wasn't sure whether there were three or four numbers in the combination, or even which direction to turn the wheel!

If it takes him 15 seconds to try a single combination, how many days will it take him to to try every possible combination? Please round to the nearest day.

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Impressive.

I've never seen PERMUT used before and I'm not sure what the 86400 is for. Please explain at your convenience...

Actually, I get the 86400...

=ROUND((PERMUT(60,4)+PERMUT(60,3))*15/86400,0)

Nice. Always good to see a function that I'd never even noticed before.

Only thing is, doesn't this result need to be doubled to account for not knowing which way to turn the wheel? Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick though.

Also, by trying every 4 number combination you've also covered every 3 number combination although maybe I'm just being picky.

Bored
Nick

You make a good point about not knowing which way to turn the wheel.

Hmm, intriguing about covering every 3 number combination....

If both of these points are correct, then the answer given by Ponsy would still reamin true since one would cancel out the other.

It is quite true that all 3 number combinations would be covered by the 4 number combinations.

The 3 number combinations can therefore be eliminated.

I had assumed that the wheel could not be rotated more than 360 degrees from 0 so that the numbers themselves would dictate which way the wheel needed to be rotated.
I don't think that can assumed. The effect is to increase the combinations of the 4 numbers by 8 times (I think). So the formula would become :-

=ROUND(PERMUT(60,4)*8*15/86400,0)

Hey guys,

Just a note that on any combination safe I've ever used, you have to clear the dial (usually a few rotations in the opposite direction you want to start in) before you dial the combination. This clears the previous combination used in the lock.

If you dial a four number combination, where you need three, it won't open, as the previous dial wouldn't be cleared first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back