Max/Frequency Question

BobA

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I have the following array formula in a spreadsheet:

={((MAX(FREQUENCY(IF(Q894:Q7001>0,ROW(Q894:Q7001)),IF(Q894:Q7001<0,ROW(Q894:Q7001))))))}

It is used to determine the largest number of positive values in a column, (longest winning streak)
and it works fine. This column contains integers that I input, no formulas are used.

However, if I use the same formula in a different column, which is derived from formulas it doesn't work.

Can this formula be amended to solve the problem, or is an entirely different approach required?

Thanks,

Bob

Is it this one?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Is it this one?
Thanks for finding this. I'm working on it. I'll let you know if it works in a column derived from formulas.

Upvote 0
Thanks for finding this. I'm working on it. I'll let you know if it works in a column derived from formulas.
I only needed one formula in a helper cell in D2:
Excel Formula:
=MATCH(9.99E+307,A2:A2000)

With that, the following formula in E2 will tell you your current winning or losing streak whether it be plus or minus:

Excel Formula:
=(D2-LOOKUP(2,1/(SIGN(A2:INDEX(A2:A1000,D2))<>SIGN(INDEX(A2:A1000,D2))),ROW(A2:INDEX(A2:A1000,D2))-ROW(A2)+1))*(sign(lookup(10^10,A2:A2000)))
[Entered as array]

It works when you input the data into column A or if you get your data from a simple formula.

It doesn't work if there are gaps or blank spaces.

It also doesn't work for the formulas I have in a column that derives it's answers from two other columns one of which is dates.

Excel Formula:
=if(B2<>B3,sumif(B:B,B2,C:C),"")

Try as I may I couldn't get it to work.

Stuff like this is simply above my pay grade.

Upvote 0
It doesn't work if there are gaps or blank spaces.
How should gaps / blanks be handled? If there is a gap in the middle of a streak, should it

-End the current streak?
-Be counted as part of the streak if it is a unique date? (continue streak, blank counts as 1)
-Be ignored? (continue streak, blank counts as 0)

The earlier formulas that I suggested would have done the same as your original formula, which I think ignored the blanks and continued after but I want to be sure that I'm following it correctly before attempting this one.

Finally, do we need to keep the formula compatible with excel 2000, or is 2010 only acceptable?

Upvote 0
2010 is fine, or whatever is easiest for you. I'm adaptable and can usually make things work.

As far as blanks are concerned, my screenshot shows where and why there are blank cells in the "Daily Result" column.

I enter the date and the results, however many there might be, for each particular day, and the "Daily Result" column automatically tabulates the sum total for each individual day as I go along.

There are formulas in every cell in the "Daily Result" column, but only the latest entry for a particular date will show a total.

My formula (and yours) work for the result column, if that is what I wish to do, no problem. But I'm trying to get it to work for the "Daily Result" column (in my screenshot.) So the one formula I'm trying to create (which I had and lost) would show my current win steak whether it be plus or minus.

In my screenshot, it would simply say 3. But it could just as easily be -3, 4, -5, 1, etc.

I hope I explained it well.

Attachments

• Daily Win Streak.png
    Daily Win Streak.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0
I might be missing something but I'm thinking that it should just be a case of finding the last daily result, then taking the latest positive or negative based on that result.

Something like
Excel Formula:
=IF(LOOKUP(1E+100,M8:M15)<0,X1,Y1)
Where X1 refers to the current negative streak formual, and Y1 the current positive streak formula.

If you are trying to do it with 1 formula instead of 3 then it should still work if you enter the current formulas directly into this one instead of referring to the cells. Remember to array confirm it if you do it that way.

Either way, it should be within the limits of excel 2000.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back