Max Value in a given column range based on a partial text string that is in a cell

Zerorules

Hi,
I am having trouble trying to get a formula to work that can find the Max Value in a given column range based on a partial text string that is in a cell. The data is sorted in a table, that has 10 columns. First having the name and the other 9 with different bits of info about that item. I want the formula to find all the rows that partially match the text string recorded in a cell using column 1. Then find the max value in columns 4-10 from the remaining rows.
Thanks

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Try something like this, edit names etc to match your actual table.

=AGGREGATE(14,6,Table1[[Column4]:[Column10]/ISNUMBER(SEARCH("text string",Table1[Column1])),1)

Upvote 0
Guessing you change the final number to 2-6 based on what column I need the max value from? It worked which is great thanks!

Upvote 0
No, it should always be 1 for MAX value, that is looking at all columns from 4 to 10. Changing it to 2 will find the second largest number.

If you want to get the MAX from each column individually then just use a single column in the first part of the formula, alternatively you could also use

=MAXIFS( Table1[Column4],Table1[Column1],"*text string*")

but this will only work with one column at a time, not all at once like the first formula.

Upvote 0
Yeah I worked that one out thanks!
Don't suppose you would know how to conditionally format cells using a colour scale, based on a text string? As in all the info in Health to Speed need to be colour scaled from lowest to highest. However the only way I know how to do it is to do this to the entire column at a time, however it would include value from all types instead of only one. As in the rows with "giga" in it all need to be scaled together without those containing "theriz".
1596183189993.png

Upvote 0
Not sure about that one, as it's a totally different question it would be better to start a new thread for it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denissimo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back