Maximum fields in an access form

Pettor

Board Regular
Hello guys,

I am trying to create a form with data from around 10 tables. I want to present around 500 fields in total and I am facing a problem with the record source.
As I have seen, Access creates a query combining all these tables, but while adding more and more columns I eventually receive the message that there are "too many fields involved".
Is there any way t bypass this limitation?

Many thanks

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
can't tell you how to do it, but you can create more than one table and using identical referencing utilise data from more than one table, 20 plus years since i started doing that

Upvote 0
I am not familiar with that limitation. Maybe it's related to this...

As a workaround, would you be able to split the form up into two or three separate forms (with the same record source) and then lay them out as subforms on another form to look like one big form?

Upvote 0
500 fields? :eek:

What exactly are you storing in these tables?

Upvote 0
Thank you John, that is what I thought about and I am trying to do it now with 3 subforms.
If I have difficulties I will let you know.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Sounds to me like you've designed your tables like you would spreadsheets. A table should represent one entity. Each field should represent one attribute (characteristic) of the entity. Your post implies that you have 10 entities and each one of them has an average of 50 attributes. Not impossible I guess, but I can't imagine a query for a form that needs to retrieve records from 10 entities and present them as one thing. If all of that is OK, then maybe what you need is subforms, but not if you've designed the tables totally wrong.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back