Maximum password specifications

botnik

What is the maximum password length for the forums? I am trying to set up logging in via password manager. Password lengths of 64 or even 50 characters don't seem to work. Thanks.

One wonders why you have to log in like that, being that to benefit from the site you need to interact with it and its users

I'm not interacting with anyone or any site with the password manager. I'm just logging in with it. If you don't use a password manager, you should try it out. Don't knock it until you try it. Life is much better with one.

I just checked, and I have 139 logins. I don't have to keep track of my passwords on paper or anything like that. And it's way more secure. The security is the primary reason to use a password manager. The convenience is secondary.

The default I think is 50 characters max - I don't know if it's been changed here. I'll see if I can find out.

What is the maximum password length for the forums? I am trying to set up logging in via password manager. Password lengths of 64 or even 50 characters don't seem to work. Thanks.

Firstly, good on you for using a password manager. Welcome to never having to worry about passwords being cracked.

Secondly, vBulletin password fields have a character limit of 50.

I'm not interacting with anyone or any site with the password manager. I'm just logging in with it. If you don't use a password manager, you should try it out. Don't knock it until you try it. Life is much better with one.

I just checked, and I have 139 logins. I don't have to keep track of my passwords on paper or anything like that. And it's way more secure. The security is the primary reason to use a password manager. The convenience is secondary.

Google can store it encrypted on your machine

I've tried a password length of 50 characters but this site didn't take it (have to reset password). I will try it again later tonight.

Sure Google can store the password encrypted on your computer but that's pretty ... primitive with very limited functionality and fraught with problems. The biggest and most obvious being what about your privacy? Don't you regularly clear your cookies and other website data on your machine? Google can certainly help though, if you search for "why should i use a password manager." :) Just make sure to spend some time picking your password manager. I use 1password. There are some others that have had some growing pains.

What happens if this password manager of yours (1) crashes, (2) gets hacked, (3) goes out of business, (4) cannot access the storage holding the password entries, and so on? The real trouble is the sheer number of "logins" or passwords we are imposed to manage "mentally" or otherwise...

What happens if your spreadsheet has any of those problems? Surely it would be better to do all your calculations on paper ledgers or a chalkboard right? The real trouble is the sheer number of calculations we are imposed to manage. Why even use computers? Do they provide any benefit? Your car can break down. It must be better to walk. There are so many risks with online banking. Maybe we should recommend that people keep money in their mattresses. You can ask “what if” for any system and choose a method that suits you best.

I’m not here to champion the use of a password manager. You can read up on them and decide whether to use them or not. I was just looking for the maximum password length for this forum. Having secure passwords is good practice whether you use a password manager or not.

In response to your situations 1-4 above, password managers are specifically designed and built to protect the “keys to the castle.” It is the purpose of the software to protect and safeguard that data — to prevent access by others and ensure access by you. Security has been thought through, designed and tested. Thought has been given to a wide rangs of things that could happen, e.g. what happens if you die, and your spouse or whoever needs access to your passwords. Things have been thoroughly thought through. Digital security is always advancing and is based on sound mathematics. This forum is a spreadsheet forum. If you are a user here you know about math.

Protection of your data is handled much the same way as the regular backups etc. of the rest of your data. The passwords are synchronised between your devices over secure channels. Sure software can crash and companies can go out of business. Did you think there would be no way to get your data out or export it? And sure there are password managers with some problems, which is why you should read up on which password manager to use, just like you read up on which product of any kind to use.

There is a whole Internet full of data out there that you can access. I encourage you to read up on anything you have questions about. I’m just one person. If you want other opinions you can get the opinions of anyone else. Then, make your own decisions on which product to use, or whether to use such a product or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back