maximum text from range

georgegone

I am trying to get the maximum from a range of text cells. The data in the cells consist of

etc.

the formula I am using is:
=MAX(VALUE(Interface!E2:E20))

the answer that is returned is 15 and it should be 28. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Your formula is an array formula. You need to confirm with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER......to do that select cell with formula, press F2 key then hold down CTRL and SHIFT keys and press ENTER. Curly braces like { and } should appear around the formula in the formula bar

Upvote 0
If all your data is text formatted then MAX will give 0.....

You say you got 19, was that using my formula "array entered" as instructed? You don't even have a 00019 in your posted data, is there one in there somewhere?

Upvote 0
Barry, My array (sequence) goes from 00001 to 00028 (batch detail). These numbers must be in this format as I am passing them to a MAIN frame, but I must calculate the highest number in the array to put into another part of the file (batch header) and I am trying to create this record. As lines can be deleted even in the middle of the array, I must find the hightest number in this array.

Aladin,

It still comes out as zero, try it.

Upvote 0
Barry, My array (sequence) goes from 00001 to 00028 (batch detail). These numbers must be in this format as I am passing them to a MAIN frame, but I must calculate the highest number in the array to put into another part of the file (batch header) and I am trying to create this record. As lines can be deleted even in the middle of the array, I must find the hightest number in this array.

Aladin,

It still comes out as zero, try it.

I get 28 with that sample. You need to apply control+shift+enter, not just enter.

Upvote 0
thank you,

Had the Cntrol shift enter,but the 28 record was deleted from the array.

It is working. Thank You!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back