Maybe Not 'Freeze' Panes, but 'Chill'?

rjbinney

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Dear Internet:

I have two tables that I need to reference simultaneously. They fit neatly side-by-side on my worksheet.

Table "B" is about 12 rows and I need to be able to see all 12 rows while working with this file.

Table "A" is several hundred rows and needs to be frequently filtered on multiple criteria.

Of course, if I put them side by side, I can't Freeze the rows, because when I filter anything on "A", all of "B" disappears. (I am rarely looking at more than 40 rows of data in "A", but it's still enough that if I stack them, there's still lots of scrolling.)

Anyone have a hack where I can put the tables side-by-side, freeze the top few rows on the left half, and leave the right half intact? I am doing New Window=>Arrange Vertical, which works but is a little inelegant. And a pain every time I need to go in and out of other files.

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
I would open a new window and arrange them side-by-side... each window can be frozen or split individually allowing you to scroll them individually from each other. To open a new window, go to the View tab, click "New Window". Then from the View tab of either window, click "Arrange Windows" and select "Vertical" from the choices. You can now scroll each window independently and, as I said earlier, freeze them at different points within each.

Upvote 0
Is it?

Capture.JPG

Upvote 0
I would open a new window and arrange them side-by-side... each window can be frozen or split individually allowing you to scroll them individually from each other. To open a new window, go to the View tab, click "New Window". Then from the View tab of either window, click "Arrange Windows" and select "Vertical" from the choices. You can now scroll each window independently and, as I said earlier, freeze them at different points within each.
If I understand what you're describing, that's the same thing I'm doing (in my last paragraph)...

And I'm having trouble with multi-quote, but to @bebo021999 : Whenever I try to split windows in Windows, the scrolling all seems to scroll with each other... It just goes all caddywumpus on me.

I think @Rick Rothstein 's is the best way to go, I was just looking for some way to set-it-and-forget-it for that file only.

Thanks, Internet!

Upvote 0
Actually, that doesn't work... It still filters on both sides of the screen. I guess my best bet is to create two tabs and then Arrange the windows...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faxgirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back