MDX Query in Excel from Olap Cube?

largeselection

Hello,

Not entirely sure if this is possible...

I'd like to somehow get a count of how many locations each player has scored 5 or more points in, details below.

Basically there is an Olap cube set up which I do not have access to change. As a simplified example the data that I have is set up as outlined:

• League - Team - Player# in a nested hierarchy (so you can expand a league and see the teams within, and expand a team and see the players within).
  • I also have access to each of those individual fields as individual fields rather than hierarchical.
  • I also have a list of locations and corresponding points scored by each player at each location.
So what I tried doing is making a regular pivot table arranged as:
League, Team, Player#, Location, Points

Then I put in a formula to the right of the pivottable that said if points>5, then 1, otherwise 0. Then I did a pivottable based on that pivottable and just summed up the new field that I had created at the Player# level.

The place where I run into problems is that I was able to do that with sample data, but the whole file is too big to do that because I have 10 leagues, 20 teams/league, 30 players/team, 150 locations/player, so by making the pivot table as I described that would be 900,000 rows and I ran out of memory. So I figured I'd ask the question here, because I don't need to see the actual locations/player if I could get a count of how many of those entries scored > 5 points. Then I could just have a file that has 6,000 rows only (10 leagues x 20 teams x 30 players) which shows the count of locations where > 5 points was scored.

Thanks in advance for any help, advice. If you know someplace better to pose this question I'm happy to do so there and read whatever.

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Forgot to mention...

I'm happy to accomplish this any way you can see feasible. I've dealt a little bit with Cube functions (cubevalue, etc) as well as creating named sets in the excel olap options a little bit with MDX.

Upvote 0
Have you found any good sources to do this? I am looking to accomplish something very similar. I also want to count but I want to count the number of players on the team that score points, so to say.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I have not figured out a way to do this yet. If you figure anything out in your searches please let me know.

Upvote 0
I figured out my solution. My solution will not work for yours however.

I might recommend writing a macro that searches through your column that you have returning a 1 or 0. Anytime that the result is a 1, use the offset function to return the game or place where or when that player scored 5 or more points. You can also possible use a formula that says, if=1, return the cell of the location desired. You do this for the whole column next to the 1s and 0s and then you can set a filter to somehow filter where there are places or times.

Just a thought on the run!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denissimo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back