Meaningful way to connect multiple Excel files to build a reusable application

mredekopp

Scenario: I have a workbook with one primary worksheet upon which tabulated calculations occur: this sheet starts as a blank template and ends as a deliverable. Then there are many secondary/support worksheets which contain data that the primary sheet references via vlookup/named ranges (etc). There is also a tertiary object, a range of cells within and below the primary worksheet in which sumifs are executed to total data in the tables above.

Question: Is there a way that the secondary sheets (and the sumifs range) can exist in a reference-only form (infrequent modifications) while the primary worksheet exists in a template form (frequent modifications) such that the template can start as a blank sheet, and then be saved separately from, yet with persisting references to, the reference worksheets?

Purpose: To the end that multiple projects can be processed using the application without duplicating the secondary worksheets. Updates can be made to the secondary worksheets once in the course of a project that has multiple primary sheet instances.

Footnote: This application is an inventory spreadsheet provided by a vendor. I have modified the workbook with my own secondary worksheets to maintain my inventory and reference it from the primary sheet. The vendor makes continuous updates to the primary sheet. I use the vendor's spreadsheet to inventory items across multiple buildings referring to the same inventory. As the workbook exists now once I create more than one file instance I have to update the references on each instance if references change. I would like to be able to swap primary sheets in and out of the workbook containing the secondary sheets without upsetting named ranges.

PS. I hope that is clear enough. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back