Measure in Another Measure

smallwood0507

Hello - first off I am very much still at the beginning of learning the world of PowerPivot and Dax.

For context I am working to calculate turnover/retention rates for employees sliced by tenure and avg hours. The column I am looking to return is the number of employees with hours 2 month prior to the filtered month in the pivot table. i.e if March 16 is selected it returns data for Jan 16, simple right? So far I can return this correctly for all employees and for calculations by tenure.

My issue is when I try to use a fairly complicated measure that calculates avg hours the employee worked. The measure returns the avg hours worked in the 3 prior months unless they have only worked in the current month, in which case it returns those hours

Avg Hours:=if(VALUE([Sum of EditedHours])>0,if(VALUE(CalculatE(DISTINCTCOUNT(CG_HT_Q[EditedHours]),
DATESINPERIOD('Calendar'[FirstDay],lastdate([FirstDay]),-4,MONTH)))=1,[Sum of EditedHours],
CALCULATE(sum(CG_HT_Q[EditedHours]),DATESINPERIOD('Calendar'[FirstDay],Lastdate(DATEADD('Calendar'[FirstDay],-1,MONTH)),-3,MONTH))/
Calculate(DISTINCTCOUNT(CG_HT_Q[EditedHours]),DATESINPERIOD('Calendar'[FirstDay],Lastdate(DATEADD('Calendar'[FirstDay],-1,MONTH)),-3,MONTH))),bLANK())

I then reference that measure in this formula which counts the distinct number of employees in the month 2 months prior.

EmployeesT-3 <80hrs:=Calculate(DISTINCTCOUNT(CG_HT_Q[Employee Name]),CG_HT_Q[EditedHours]>0,CG_HT_Q[LastScheduleMonth]>0,CG_HT_Q[Hire Date]>0,Filter(CG_HT_Q,[Avg Hours]<80),PREVIOUSMONTH(PREVIOUSMONTH('Calendar'[FirstDay])))

The formula in the current month (without the previousmonth formula) works fine, but I cannot get the one above to work..... I have tried the DATEADD formula as well instead of previousmonth.

Any ideas?
Thank you,
R

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back