Measures for Monthly Actuals using DATEADD

Jerid421

I am trying to create measures with the DATEADD function for each month of the present year. I am doing this by passing a THISMONTH mueasures into the DATEADD to calculate how many time periods to step back to get each month. All future months will be "0" as there are actuals in future months: For example:

JAN:=IF(-([THISMONTH]-1)>0,0,
CALCULATE(SUM(fact_ActualsOrders_ES[amount]),DATEADD(fact_ActualsOrders_ES[actuals_date],-([THISMONTH]-1),MONTH)))

FEB:=IF(-([THISMONTH]-2)>0,0,
CALCULATE(SUM(fact_ActualsOrders_ES[amount]),DATEADD(fact_ActualsOrders_ES[actuals_date],-([THISMONTH]-2),MONTH)))

The SUM on [amount] is returning very, very high (and incorrect) for the first (3) months I've tried.

565rcdbidaeq8siv4wop

What am I doing wrong? And advice?

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Picture isn't showing for me, but I have 1 question, and 1 statement:

1) where do you use this -- eg, what is the filter context when this measure is evaluated? eg, what are the dates associated with fact_ActualsOrders_ES[actuals_date] ?
If you just evaluate that with no filter context (drop it on values of a pivot table with no date rows), its going to be all the dates... so, even if you shift it by a month or whatever, it is still a lot of dates.

2) It's weird and likely wrong to use DATEADD against the FACT table. DATEADD should be used against a Calendar lookup table.

Upvote 0
Picture isn't showing for me, but I have 1 question, and 1 statement:

1) where do you use this -- eg, what is the filter context when this measure is evaluated? eg, what are the dates associated with fact_ActualsOrders_ES[actuals_date] ?
If you just evaluate that with no filter context (drop it on values of a pivot table with no date rows), its going to be all the dates... so, even if you shift it by a month or whatever, it is still a lot of dates.

2) It's weird and likely wrong to use DATEADD against the FACT table. DATEADD should be used against a Calendar lookup table.

Yeah... well what happened is that I couldn't get the DATEADD to work against the Dim_Date table, so I used the RELATED function in the ActualsOrders_ES table to create a calculated column called [actuals_date]. That's why I've been pointing the DATEADD to it.

The measures that I'm creating are calculating correctly now, issue #1 is kind of moot. But now when I try to add the [JAN] measure to the pivot I get an error:

ERROR - CALCULATION ABORTED: Calculation error in measure 'fact_ActualsOrders_ES'[JAN]: Function 'DATEADD' only works with contiguous date selections.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Which I'm sure is tied back to me not using the dim_Date table. : (

Upvote 0
Yeah... well what happened is that I couldn't get the DATEADD to work against the Dim_Date table, so I used the RELATED function in the ActualsOrders_ES table to create a calculated column called [actuals_date]. That's why I've been pointing the DATEADD to it.

The measures that I'm creating are calculating correctly now, issue #1 is kind of moot. But now when I try to add the [JAN] measure to the pivot I get an error:

ERROR - CALCULATION ABORTED: Calculation error in measure 'fact_ActualsOrders_ES'[JAN]: Function 'DATEADD' only works with contiguous date selections.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Which I'm sure is tied back to me not using the dim_Date table. : (

Even when I try to use it with a YTD measure, it returns a BLANK:

YTDActuals:=Calculate(SUM(fact_ActualsOrders_ES[amount]),DATESYTD(dim_date[calendar_date]))

But the correct value is calculated if I use:

YTDActuals:=Calculate(SUM(fact_ActualsOrders_ES[amount]),DATESYTD(fact_ActualsOrders_ES)[actuals_date]))

Upvote 0
Hmmm...

Ya, you want to work against your dim_date, but I can't say offhand why that isn't working. They are related and the arrow points at dim_date ?

Any chance you can share your workbook (google drive, dropbox, whatever) ?

Upvote 0
I put it into a Box folder for you. You should receive an invite. Used scott "at" tinylizard "dotcom".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back