Measuring how far a data point is from an exponential trendline

flyjetz

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
(First time poster) I have a set of exponential data (over 23,000 data points) that is represented by an exponential trendline with a formula of y=6.0711e^(0.0003x). I have attempted to create a formula to derive the expected value by using =6.07111*EXP(0.0003*x), but the values at the high end of the data seem way too big. My guess is that the 0.0003 is rounded too much and I can't derive a useful formula at the extreme right end of the data. What I'm trying to do is determine, at each point, how far away (on a percentage basis) the data point is from the trendline. Can anyone help me solve this. Thank you!

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
I have attempted to create a formula to derive the expected value by using =6.07111*EXP(0.0003*x), but the values at the high end of the data seem way too big. My guess is that the 0.0003 is rounded too much

Probably right. So let's solve that problem first. If you are getting the formula from your own chart, you can change the format of the trendline label to show greater precision.

First, be sure that you are using an XY Scatter chart, not a Line chart. For a Line chart, the trendline is based on x=1,2,3,etc instead of the actual values on the x-axis.

Right-click the trendline label, click Format Trendline Label, Number. On the right, click a Category and enter a number of decimal places.

I prefer Scientific with 14 decimal places, because that displays all coefficients with the greatest precision that Excel formats, regardless of magnitude.

But in your case, Number with 9 decimal places would probably suffice (the smallest coefficient with 6 significant digits).

Now you can copy-and-paste the coefficients into your spreadsheet.

-----

Alternatively, you could use LINEST to calculate the coefficients directly in your spreadsheet. But for exponential trendlines, that requires a little finesse, which might be overwhelming.

With your x-data in X1:X23000 and y-data in Y1:Y23000, select A1:B1 (2 horizontal cells) and array-enter (press ctrl+shift+Enter instead of just Enter) the following formula:

=LINEST(LN(Y1:Y23000), X1:X23000)

Then the formula to estimate Y1 is:

=EXP(B1) * EXP(A1*X1)

-----

What I'm trying to do is determine, at each point, how far away (on a percentage basis) the data point is from the trendline

With the estimated y-values in Z1:Z23000, the percentage difference for Y1 is:

=Z1/Y1 - 1

formatted as Percentage.

However, we usually use the sum of the squared residuals (variously abbreviated SSR, RSS, SSE) or RSQ to measure fit.

Upvote 0
Solution
Probably right. So let's solve that problem first. If you are getting the formula from your own chart, you can change the format of the trendline label to show greater precision.

First, be sure that you are using an XY Scatter chart, not a Line chart. For a Line chart, the trendline is based on x=1,2,3,etc instead of the actual values on the x-axis.

Right-click the trendline label, click Format Trendline Label, Number. On the right, click a Category and enter a number of decimal places.

I prefer Scientific with 14 decimal places, because that displays all coefficients with the greatest precision that Excel formats, regardless of magnitude.

But in your case, Number with 9 decimal places would probably suffice (the smallest coefficient with 6 significant digits).

Now you can copy-and-paste the coefficients into your spreadsheet.

-----

Alternatively, you could use LINEST to calculate the coefficients directly in your spreadsheet. But for exponential trendlines, that requires a little finesse, which might be overwhelming.

With your x-data in X1:X23000 and y-data in Y1:Y23000, select A1:B1 (2 horizontal cells) and array-enter (press ctrl+shift+Enter instead of just Enter) the following formula:

=LINEST(LN(Y1:Y23000), X1:X23000)

Then the formula to estimate Y1 is:

=EXP(B1) * EXP(A1*X1)

-----

With the estimated y-values in Z1:Z23000, the percentage difference for Y1 is:

=Z1/Y1 - 1

formatted as Percentage.

However, we usually use the sum of the squared residuals (variously abbreviated SSR, RSS, SSE) or RSQ to measure fit.
Changing the number of decimal places on the trendline formula solved my issue. Thank you so much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back