Median for a specific number of nonblanks

Mc922

Hi all,

Scenario: I've sorted by date in column A. Now I'm trying to find the easiest way to get a median from the first 50 nonblank rows in column B.

The catch: I don't want to delete the rows with blanks in column B because I need the other columns in these rows for other calculations. I'd also prefer not to change the current sort order if possible.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
There is probably a better way to do this but you could add a helper column somewhere which basically counts the number of non-blank values up to and including that row maybe using Counta($B$1:B1) copied down

Then your formula would be:

Code:
=MEDIAN(OFFSET(B1,0,0,MATCH(50,$C:$C,0)))

Assuming your data start at B1 in each case and that C is your helper column starting at C1

Upvote 0
Even though this is looking for the last (not first) x values and is arranged in rows (not columns), it should give you a good starting point. Scroll up to see the early part of the thread.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the helpful replies. Offset got me on the right track, I didn't know much about it until now. Ended up using a VBA sub to count down the number of rows until it reached 50 nonblank values and wrote that row count to cell. Then in the next cell over I used the Median / Offset formula with the 3rd parameter of 'height' pointing to the row count cell. VBA seemed overkill for what I wanted but then I really didn't want to mess with a helper column in this case and trying to get that to work etc. Bottom line, it works, thanks again for the suggestions.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SarahSomethingExcel100

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back