Memo field on form in multiple columns?

mattmickle

Board Regular
I feel like a grade schooler with access, but slowly getting my database to a usable format.
I have a report, generated by inputting a person's last name, which produces a one page document of all issued equipment for that person. On that report, I have a Memo field, which I'm using to store "other equipment" that is not standard to everyone (some people could have nothing, some could have one item, others could have 7-8). On the report, the memo field is about as tall as 4 lines, but, being a memo, can obviously hold more. The report is set up portrait and the Memo field is wider than it is tall. Is there a way to have multiple columns within the Memo field?

Item 1 Item 5
Item 2 Item 6
Item 3 Item 7
Item 4 Item 8

I know i can have the field grow, but I'm trying to keep the report to one page. I know i can also have a scroll bar, but this is really a printed report and therefore that wouldn't work either.

OR, is there a different way to store this information? Should I set up 8 "Other Equipment" fields and show each seperately? All help is appreciated.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Should I set up 8 "Other Equipment" fields

That is a slightly better idea than holding all that information in a memo field, however, technically you should have another table where you store other equipment that is related to the main record - this is known as normalisation and is far better for querying and finding information. On the recordsource of your report you would have a query pulling the data from the 'persons' table and the 'OtherEquipment', you would then use grouping at person level with the other equipment in detail.

I know you have 8 fields just now, in a year or 2 that could change, continue to grow. Normalisation in this way means you do not have to continually add fields for other equipment 9,10...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back