Menu Autohide

FredMcStaire

I like to Auto-hide the menu to save screen real estate. There seems to be an annoying quirk with Autohide, and I'm wondering if it's just me, and if so, how to fix it?
( Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise)
With the menu in Auto-hide/show tabs
I've selected a cell, then on the menu click Home, then any of the Font/Alignment/Number format options such as %, $, fill, indent, etc.
What I would love it to do is when I hit [return] or [Tab], the format is applied and the menu disappears. However, it seems that the only way for the menu to disappear is to hit escape. Any advice?

( I'm guessing I'm overlooking something simple)

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Well, you're selecting cells with the mouse (I guess) before clicking on the ribbon so I thought that just selecting another cell since you have your finger on the mouse button would work for you. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Upvote 0
Well, you're selecting cells with the mouse (I guess) before clicking on the ribbon so I thought that just selecting another cell since you have your finger on the mouse button would work for you. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
That would be the easy way. But effectively doubles mouse-clicks, breaks flow and introduces additional steps for error. ( I'll admit, I get a bit pedantic sometimes). Out of curiosity, do other versions of excel act the same way? I don't recall the menu bar staying up after an action was selected on previous versions.

Upvote 0
I can't recall - have been using 365 for several years. Have to admit I can't see how clicking on a sheet would raise an error or break flow but that's just me.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back