merge columns with sorting

leecavturbo

i have 2 columns of data ( label text ) the labels are location specific , the 1st & 3rd column details the location for each. how can my spreadsheet merge the 2 label columns so that the locations are in progressive rows?
so my data is F,G,H,I and i need J,K to auto sort
F is location, G is label, H is location, I is label. J should be location and K label sorted in order of location
TIA

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Hello,

Can you give an example of what the first few rows of your data looks like and how you want it to be sorted? You said there are 2 columns of data, but then talked about the 1st and 3rd column. I am having trouble following your description.

Upvote 0
ive manually filled J,K above but need auto fill if poss
Your thread title says "with sorting"... your output column appears to be sorted within each location individually but what determines the order of the locations as they are not sorted alphabetically?

Upvote 0
Hi Rick, i have manually populated the output column just to show what i should get. no order is required for location if that makes sense

Upvote 0
Hi Rick, i have manually populated the output column just to show what i should get. no order is required for location if that makes sense
I was going to give you a macro solution but I see you posted while I was writing my question to you that you cannot use a macro. I am afraid I do not know how to do what you want with formulas alone. Hopefully one of our formula experts will have a solution for you.

Upvote 0
ive manually filled J,K above but need auto fill if poss

I'm not sure if F and H have duplicates, but I would suggest copying all of column F and all of column H into 1 column on another sheet and then using the Remove Duplicates feature on the Data tab to get you a list of each Location. Then you can sort that A to Z if you want and past it into Column J.

For Column K, I have wrote a formula that will lookup the information in G and the lookup the information in I if nothing was found. So basically, for each location it checks in column G then in Column I and returns a blank if nothing is found.

=IFNA(IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(J3,$F$3:$G$10,2,FALSE)),VLOOKUP(J3,$H$3:$I$10,2,FALSE),1),"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back