Merge Excel cells into a Word .docx

gcefaloni

Board Regular
Hi,

I am trying to automate a monthly investment commentary where I would write predetermined sentences in Word with certain portions of the sentences being left blank and meant to be linked to cells in an Excel worksheet; somewhat similarly to a mail merge greetings linked to an address book "Dear Rendall, here is our new amazing product".

An example would go like this:
"The XYZ strategy (If(A1>B1,"overperformed","underperformed") this month with a performance of (Cell A1 in Excel worksheet)% relative to the benchmark which recorded a (Cell B1)% return. The strategy was positioned more heavily in the (Cell C1; sector name with biggest difference with benchmark) sector followed by (D1: second biggest difference sector name) which respectively contributed (Cell C2; performance of 1st sector)% and (Cell D2; performance of 2nd sector)% to the portfolio.

You get the point.. I was wondering if there is a way of setting up a way to link a word document with Excel in such a way.
Alternatively, could I write the entire text in Excel, in a textbox let's say, and have parts of the textbox link to cells in the worksheet? If so, then I could just copy paste the text somewhere else to build my monthly commentary.

Thanks for your help and insights!

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
If this is a report for multiple recipients, it can all be done via a mailmerge from Word. The conditional text can be output via the use of IF fields in the mailmerge main document to test the relevant mergefield results returned from Excel. For the latter, see Mailmerge String Testing in the Mailmerge Tips and Tricks thread at: http://www.msofficeforums.com/mail-merge/21803-mailmerge-tips-tricks.html

Alternatively, if you're after something that's just a single report linked to specific Excel cells, you can copy & paste those cells into Word using Paste Special with the 'paste link' option and your preferred paste format. The results of individual linked cells can be tested via the use of IF fields in the same way as for a mailmerge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back