Merge Fields used in word document

fluffynicesheep

Board Regular
Hi,

I have created a word mail merge template from data in an excel document, and I think I'm nearing the 256 column limit - so need to check what exactly I'm using and what (out of the 256 fields) I'm not currently using...

What I'm after is some kind of macro that will allow me to open up a word mail merge template, and then return all of the names of the mail merge fields that are used in that document into a single column in excel ....

Even better, if I could open all word documents in a named folder and add all the fieldnames used in all of those documents into one long list that would be even better!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Hi,

I have created a word mail merge template from data in an excel document, and I think I'm nearing the 256 column limit - so need to check what exactly I'm using and what (out of the 256 fields) I'm not currently using...

What I'm after is some kind of macro that will allow me to open up a word mail merge template, and then return all of the names of the mail merge fields that are used in that document into a single column in excel ....

Even better, if I could open all word documents in a named folder and add all the fieldnames used in all of those documents into one long list that would be even better!!

Any help would be appreciated.
Just wondering if anyone has come up with any ideas at all?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mesh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back