Merge rows based on row label unique value

rose_chris

I’m having a list of more than 100,000 data. First column has item number, second column has the notes that are associated with it. One item number might have many notes.
Currently the data is like this
item note
123 abc
123 cdf
456 adad
789 cfc
789 dfa
789 ada
901 dak
234 kad

I’d like to merge the notes to associate with one item number, so that I can display it in one row. The issue is, I have so many records and the number of notes rows varies, so I can’t use concatenate or merge rows manually.

I’d like the end result like this:
123 abc, cdf
456 adad
789 cfc, dfa, ada
901 dak
234 kad

Is there a way I can do this without using vba? I tried tabular design for Pivot but it still shows as separate rows for each unique item number.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Assume your column data for item numbers is A2:A10 and B2:B10 for note items. You first need to determine unique item numbers. Place this formula in C2
C2: =INDEX($A$2:$A$10,SMALL(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($A$2:$A$10<>"",MATCH($A$2:$A$10,$A$2:$A$10,0)),ROW($A$2:$A$10)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROW($A$2:$A$10)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROWS($C$2:C2))) Use Control-Shift-Enter, copy down

Now we need to list the all the note items for each item. Place this formula in D2 to list note items on the same row
D2: =INDEX($B$2:$B$10,SMALL(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($B$2:$B$10<>"",IF($A$2:$A$10=$C$2,MATCH($B$2:$B$10,$B$2:$B$10,0))),ROW($B$2:$B$10)-ROW($B$2)+1),ROW($B$2:$B$10)-ROW($B$2)+1),COLUMNS($D$2:D2))) Use control-shift-enter copy across then down You may want to make sure your absolute references are correct for the proper copying of formulas

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back