Merge Two Tables and Convert to Data List

Gimics

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I have two tables that are maintained separately, but share common elements. Based on those common elements, I would like to merge the tables and extend them into a full data list.

The first table has headings across the top (let's call them location groups) that need to be looked up in the second table, which will contain multiple records (let's called them locations) of those headings associated with additional fields. After looking the value up, I want to create a third table that's a list of all of the source data and looked up values. Much easier to explain with visuals:

Table 1(source data):
ABCD
1Fruit TypesStoresEcommerceCorporate
2AppleGalaGalaFuji
3OrangeTangerineMandarinMadarin

<tbody>
</tbody>

Table 2(mapping table):
AB
1Location GroupsLocations
2StoresStore 100
3StoresStore 200
4StoresStore 300
5EcommerceCanada Website
6EcommerceUSA Website
7EcommerceGlobal Website
8CorporateHead Office

<tbody>
</tbody>

Table 3(output; for each fruit type and fruit variety, lookup location group and create a record for each location):
ABCD
1Fruit TypesFruit VarietyLocation GroupLocation
2AppleGalaStoresStore 100
3AppleGalaStoresStore 200
4AppleGalaStoresStore 300
5AppleGalaEcommerceCanada Website
6AppleGalaEcommerceUSA Website
7AppleGalaEcommerceGlobal Website
8AppleFujiCorporateHead Office
9OrangeTangerineStoresStore 100
10OrangeTangerineStoresStore 200
11OrangeTangerineStoresStore 300
12OrangeMandarinEcommerceCanada Website
13OrangeMandarinEcommerceUSA Website
14OrangeMandarinEcommerceGlobal Website
15OrangeMandarinCorporateHead Office

<tbody>
</tbody>

I have many more columns and rows of data, but this basic layout would solve my problem. I know how to look through the source table and then how to update the output table with those values, but I don't know how to find multiple values in the mapping table and return multiple values.

Say I've declared variables for the source table (Table1) and mapping table (Table2), including their rows, columns and data, and selected an output range for Table3 as a single cell (outRng); this would roughly be where I'm at (the code below isn't complete for all of the headings, but I can figure that part out...this is just for the mapping lookup):

Code:
For i = 1 to Table1.rows.count
    For j = 1 To Table1.columns.count
        If Not Table1.body(i, j) = "" Then
            Set foundRng = Table2Groups.Find(Table1Heading(,j), LookIn:=xlValues)
            outRng.Offset(k - 1).Resize(foundRng.Rows.Count).Value = foundRng.Offset(, 1).Value
            k = k + foundRng.Rows.Count
        Else
        End If
    Next j
Next i

This, obviously, only returns one value, as range.find only returns the range of the first found cell. This would be my resulting table:

ABCD
1Fruit TypesFruit VarietyLocation GroupLocation
2AppleGalaStoresStore 100
3AppleGalaEcommerceCanada Website
4AppleFujiCorporateHead Office
5OrangeTangerineStoresStore 100
6OrangeMandarinEcommerceCanada Website
7OrangeMandarinCorporateHead Office

<tbody>
</tbody>

What am I missing? It would be great if I could use a range.resize(foundrange.size) = foundrange.offset(1) kind of formula here, but maybe I can only do this with multiple loops?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
The tables you created as a range table or only a range in different sheets.
Can it be with VBA or does it have to be with formulas?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses, but unfortunately I'm not really clear what either of you are asking for.

All of the tables exist in different sheets, and they are not real "tables" or named ranges; they are just data in those sheets. For this example, assume that I've declared range variables and named them in the vba as Table1 and Table2.

Upvote 0
So if you have 3 tables, try this macro

Change data in red by your information

Code:
Sub Convert_Data_List()
    Dim lo1 As ListObject, lo2 As ListObject, lo3 As ListObject
    Dim elem As Range, b As Range, sh As Worksheet
    Dim j As Long, cell As String, n As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Set sh = Sheets("[COLOR=#ff0000]Data[/COLOR]")
    Set lo1 = sh.ListObjects("[COLOR=#ff0000]Source[/COLOR]")
    Set lo2 = sh.ListObjects("[COLOR=#ff0000]mapping[/COLOR]")
    Set lo3 = sh.ListObjects("[COLOR=#ff0000]output[/COLOR]")

With lo3.DataBodyRange
        If .Rows.Count > 1 Then .Offset(1, 0).Resize(.Rows.Count - 1, .Columns.Count).Rows.Delete
        .Rows(1).ClearContents
    End With

For Each elem In lo1.ListColumns(1).DataBodyRange
        For j = 2 To lo1.ListColumns.Count
            Set b = lo2.Range.Find(lo1.HeaderRowRange(, j), LookAt:=xlWhole)
            If Not b Is Nothing Then
                cell = b.Address
                Do
                    n = lo3.DataBodyRange.Rows.Count
                    lo3.DataBodyRange(n, 1).Resize(1, 4).Value = Array(elem, elem.Offset(, 1), b, b.Offset(, 1))
                    lo3.ListRows.Add AlwaysInsert:=True
                    Set b = lo2.Range.FindNext(b)
                Loop While Not b Is Nothing And b.Address <> cell
            End If
        Next
    Next
End Sub

Result

<table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:115.96px;" /><col style="width:101.7px;" /><col style="width:89.35px;" /><col style="width:79.84px;" /><col style="width:27.56px;" /><col style="width:85.54px;" /><col style="width:94.1px;" /><col style="width:110.26px;" /><col style="width:101.7px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >D</td><td >E</td><td >F</td><td >G</td><td >H</td><td >I</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td style="background-color:#4f81bd; color:#ffffff; font-weight:bold; ">Fruit Types</td><td style="background-color:#4f81bd; color:#ffffff; font-weight:bold; ">Stores</td><td style="background-color:#4f81bd; color:#ffffff; font-weight:bold; ">Ecommerce</td><td style="background-color:#4f81bd; color:#ffffff; font-weight:bold; ">Corporate</td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#4f81bd; color:#ffffff; font-weight:bold; ">Fruit Types</td><td style="background-color:#4f81bd; color:#ffffff; font-weight:bold; ">Fruit Variety</td><td style="background-color:#4f81bd; color:#ffffff; font-weight:bold; ">Location Group</td><td style="background-color:#4f81bd; color:#ffffff; font-weight:bold; ">Location</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Apple</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Gala</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Gala</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Fuji</td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Apple</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Gala</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Stores</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Store 100</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Orange</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Tangerine</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Mandarin</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Mandarin</td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Apple</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Gala</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Stores</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Store 200</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >4</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Apple</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Gala</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Stores</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Store 300</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >5</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Apple</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Gala</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Ecommerce</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Canada Website</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >6</td><td style="background-color:#4f81bd; color:#ffffff; font-weight:bold; ">Location Groups</td><td style="background-color:#4f81bd; color:#ffffff; font-weight:bold; ">Locations</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Apple</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Gala</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Ecommerce</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">USA Website</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >7</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Stores</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Store 100</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Apple</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Gala</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Ecommerce</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Global Website</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >8</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Stores</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Store 200</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Apple</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Gala</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Corporate</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Head Office</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >9</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Stores</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Store 300</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Orange</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Tangerine</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Stores</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Store 100</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >10</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Ecommerce</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Canada Website</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Orange</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Tangerine</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Stores</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Store 200</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >11</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Ecommerce</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">USA Website</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Orange</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Tangerine</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Stores</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Store 300</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >12</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Ecommerce</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Global Website</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Orange</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Tangerine</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Ecommerce</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Canada Website</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >13</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Corporate</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Head Office</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Orange</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Tangerine</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Ecommerce</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">USA Website</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >14</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Orange</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Tangerine</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Ecommerce</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">Global Website</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >15</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Orange</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Tangerine</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Corporate</td><td style="background-color:#dbe5f1; ">Head Office</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >16</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; "> </td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; "> </td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; "> </td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; "> </td></tr></table>

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses, but unfortunately I'm not really clear what either of you are asking for.

All of the tables exist in different sheets, and they are not real "tables" or named ranges; they are just data in those sheets. For this example, assume that I've declared range variables and named them in the vba as Table1 and Table2.

Too late, I finished the macro as if you had the information in Tables.
You mentioned in your orignal requrimiento:
I have two tables

Well, table and sheet are different and programming is also different.

Can you help by explaining exactly how you have the data in each sheet, that is, in which row and column each data is found?

Upvote 0
Another way.

Code:
Sub Combine()
Dim Tbl1() As Variant: Tbl1 = Range("A1:D3").Value 'change range for where your table is
Dim Tbl2() As Variant: Tbl2 = Range("H2:I8").Value 'change range for where your table is
Dim AL As Object: Set AL = CreateObject("System.Collections.ArrayList")
Dim Fruit As String
Dim fType As String
Dim cHead As String

For i = 2 To UBound(Tbl1)
    Fruit = Tbl1(i, 1)
    For j = 2 To UBound(Tbl1, 2)
        fType = Tbl1(i, j)
        cHead = Tbl1(1, j)
        For k = LBound(Tbl2) To UBound(Tbl2)
            If Tbl2(k, 1) = cHead Then
                AL.Add xJoin(",", Fruit, fType, cHead, Tbl2(k, 2))
            End If
        Next k
    Next j
Next i

With Range("R1").Resize(AL.Count) 'Change this range for where you want your results to show up
    .Value = Application.Transpose(AL.toArray)
    .TextToColumns DataType:=xlDelimited, Comma:=True
End With

End Sub

Function xJoin(del As String, ParamArray arg() As Variant) As String
xJoin = Join(arg, del)
End Function

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Same thing but adjusted to use tables instead of loading ranges to arrays.

Code:
Sub Combo2()
Dim T1 As ListObject: Set T1 = Sheets("Sheet1").ListObjects("Table1")
Dim T2 As ListObject: Set T2 = Sheets("Sheet1").ListObjects("Table2")
Dim AL As Object: Set AL = CreateObject("System.Collections.ArrayList")
Dim Fruit As String, fType As String, cHead As String

AL.Add xJoin(",", "Fruit Types", "Fruit Variety", "Location Group", "Location")

For i = 1 To T1.DataBodyRange.Rows.Count
    Fruit = T1.DataBodyRange.Cells(i, 1)
    For j = 2 To T1.DataBodyRange.Columns.Count
        cHead = T1.HeaderRowRange.Cells(1, j)
        fType = T1.DataBodyRange(i, j)
        For k = 1 To T2.DataBodyRange.Rows.Count
            If T2.DataBodyRange.Cells(k, 1) = cHead Then
                AL.Add xJoin(",", Fruit, fType, cHead, T2.DataBodyRange.Cells(k, 2))
            End If
        Next k
    Next j
Next i

With Range("R1").Resize(AL.Count) 'Change this range for where you want your results to show up
    .Value = Application.Transpose(AL.toArray)
    .TextToColumns DataType:=xlDelimited, Comma:=True
End With

End Sub

Function xJoin(del As String, ParamArray arg() As Variant) As String
xJoin = Join(arg, del)
End Function

Upvote 0
enough PowerQuery directly from Excel

Fruit TypesStoresEcommerceCorporateLocation GroupsLocations
AppleGalaGalaFujiStoresStore 100
OrangeTangerineMandarinMandarinStoresStore 200
StoresStore 300
EcommerceCanada Website
EcommerceUSA Website
EcommerceGlobal Website
CorporateHead Office
Fruit TypesFruit varietyLocation GroupsLocations
AppleFujiCorporateHead Office
AppleGalaEcommerceCanada Website
AppleGalaEcommerceGlobal Website
AppleGalaEcommerceUSA Website
AppleGalaStoresStore 100
AppleGalaStoresStore 200
AppleGalaStoresStore 300
OrangeMandarinCorporateHead Office
OrangeMandarinEcommerceCanada Website
OrangeMandarinEcommerceGlobal Website
OrangeMandarinEcommerceUSA Website
OrangeTangerineStoresStore 100
OrangeTangerineStoresStore 200
OrangeTangerineStoresStore 300

unpivot table5 (first blue from the left)

Code:
[SIZE=1]// Table5
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table5"]}[Content],
    UnPivot = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"Fruit Types"}, "Attribute", "Value")
in
    UnPivot[/SIZE]

then merge unpivoted table5 and table 6 (first blue from the right)

Code:
[SIZE=1]// Merge1
let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(Table5,{"Attribute"},Table6,{"Location Groups"},"Table6",JoinKind.FullOuter),
    Expand = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Source, "Table6", {"Location Groups", "Locations"}, {"Location Groups", "Locations"}),
    RC = Table.RemoveColumns(Expand,{"Attribute"}),
    Rename = Table.RenameColumns(RC,{{"Value", "Fruit variety"}}),
    Sort = Table.Sort(Rename,{{"Fruit Types", Order.Ascending}, {"Fruit variety", Order.Ascending}, {"Location Groups", Order.Ascending}, {"Locations", Order.Ascending}})
in
    Sort[/SIZE]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back