Mergefield issue

ogoblag

Hello,

I have an Excel database linked via mailmerge to a Word blank. One of the mergefields keeps coming out as a date. Up to now I've tried formatting the Excel column, containing the data - as text, as general, as number (also tried on top of formatting as text to input " ' " qualifier infront). Even if I enter only text, the mergefield keeps coming out as a date.

I also tried altering the mergefield of the Word blank, with "\# ###0", "\# 0", but that didn't work also. Can anybody suggest how to change the format of the mergefield?

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
I believe that this is typically better handled from the Word mergefield side.

But could you post some examples of what this data looks like, and how you would like it displayed on your merge document?
It usually helps to know exactly what we are working with.

Upvote 0
The column in question is always a four digit number and should be displayed exactly like that - a four digit number. No text/symbols in front or after it. Most commonly the number is 1000.

The blank as a whole is a letter in which the name of the recipient and his contact information changes, there are three possible issues to be disclosed him/her (8 strictly text mergefields).
The interesting thing is that there are two numeric fields, initially there was only one. The first one never gave me trouble. The second initially was included in the address as text string - it's a post code. The moment I inserted a separate column for that number it started giving me trouble - that's why I'm looking for something that's off with the settings of the database. The only difference between the numeric column that works correctly and the one that gives me trouble is that the second is used in a formula that determines the value of a third column (vlookup).
Could this be the problem?

Upvote 0
What is the formula that is returning this 4 digit number that is causing problems?
If it is a VLOOKUP formula that is returning a 4 digit number, maybe try something like:
=TEXT(VLOOKUP(...),"0000")

Outside of that, you will want to handle it directly in the Word merge field.

Upvote 0
The column with the number contains only the number. I tried formatting it as text, as general and as number (including manually adding " ' " infront of it. Nothing changes. Even when I input random letters "fsafa" it still comes out as a date.
Most probably I'll just revert to the version where the post code was a part of the address...

Thank you very much for your time and best of wishes for the New Year :)

Upvote 0
Even when I input random letters "fsafa" it still comes out as a date.
If I am understanding that you are telling me correctly, that makes no sense to me.
If you have "fsafa" in an Excel cell, and are merging it into a Word document, and the Word document is showing a date in that field, then the issue almost certainly resides with how you built that Word merge field, and probably has nothing to do with the Excel field. I would recommend re-building that merge field.

Upvote 0
Got me baffled too :)
I really tried fixing it before searching for advise - hoped you could hint me to something new.
Most probably will try remaking the whole word document, maybe also copying the excel data to a new document, but that will be further in time - work presses me and for now I'll have to do it the old way :)

Best regards,
Ognian

Upvote 0
Unfortuntely, I am afraid that without seeing it all, there isn't much more I can do.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back