Merging cells based on the merging in another column

FrenchCelt

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I have a macro that formats data to make it suitable for others to read. One thing I'm trying to add is the merging of cells in one column to match the same format in the column next to it. Basically the values in column B indicate the user name of an employee and the number of rows encompasses all the data of their productivity, and this range varies per person, so I can't use a constant value. I've attached an image of what I'm talking about. I want to merge the cells in column C to match the merging of the corresponding merged cells in column B so it looks like the next attached image. Can anyone provide some guidance?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-11 102815.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-11 102815.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2023-02-11 103111.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-11 103111.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 21

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
How many user id's need to be merged and how often? If you had 500 I bet you could manually merge before anyone could write code from scratch for this (OK, at least that describes me). Unless maybe you could find something close that can be modified.

My approach might be to
- create an array of row numbers where id is located
- subtract pairs: 1st & second (4-6) and use absolute value (2) as x (or some variable)
- after each calc, for each array element (1st element is 4) = row 4. Select range: offset of 1 column by x rows and merge them
- rinse and repeat using next set of pairs (2nd & 3rd, then 3rd & 4th, etc. (6-9; 9-14; etc.)

I find that once you get into such things you find your idea has a lot of missing steps. I tend to over complicate things, so maybe someone will come along with a better (i.e. easier to code) idea; maybe even a formula.

Upvote 0
This is a daily task across multiple reports and would be done thousands of times per week.

Upvote 0
Try this.
VBA Code:
Sub wrw()
        Dim k, r   As Long
        Dim lr As Long: lr = Cells.Find("*", Cells(1, 1), xlFormulas, xlWhole, xlByRows, xlPrevious).Row

For k = lr To 1 Step -1
                If Range("C" & k).Value <> "" And Range("C" & k).Offset(0, -1).MergeCells = True Then
                    r = Range("C" & k).Offset(0, -1).MergeArea.Count
                    Range("C" & k).Resize(r, 1).Merge
                    Range("C" & k).VerticalAlignment = xlTop
                    Range("C" & k).HorizontalAlignment = xlCenter
                 End If
        Next k

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back