Merging Cells

jpxsjpxs

Hi, I have data in three cells that I am trying to merge together. When I highlight the cells and go to format cells via right click and then click the check mark into the merge cells box under the alignment tab, a messages pops up that says "The Selection contains multiple data values. Merging into one cell will keep the upper left most data only" How do I merge three cells into one while keeping all the data? Thanks

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
You don't merge cells with different values.

If you have three cells with different values that you want to retain, what do you want to achieve by merging those cells? Merged cells cause all kinds of oddball difficulties. Some other method of getting what you want is probably achievable.

Upvote 0
I have a report to do where I have to have three different values that need to be in the same cell, the data has come from another source than excel and now I am trying to manipulate it to the requirements--do you know of another way to do it? Thanks!!!

Upvote 0
Why does it need to be in the same cell??
If your data is in A1, B1, C1 would putting =A1&", "&B1&", "&C1 in another cell give the kind of result that you want?

Alternatly, you could select the three cells in question and give them white interior borders, thus masking their being in 3 cells.

Upvote 0
Thanks, your suggestion works! Great. So in d1 I put the formula, how can I get the value in d1 to have one space in between? For instance if a1, b1, and c1 equal 123, how would I get d1 to look like 1 2 3
Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ak94

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back