merging duplicate donors and donation amounts from different years

eli_

hi i see lots of posts about merging but could find none that really address my problem.
im trying to organize a 10k+ name donor data base list that has names of donors, with how much they have donated, every year in yearly increments starting from 2006..... the problem is that excel displays the list as follows
jack500
jack300
bob500
bob200

<tbody>
</tbody>

what i need it to display is
jack500300
bob200500

<tbody>
</tbody>

none of the merging commands that i have tried helped
if anybody can help that would be much appreciated thanx so much!!

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Your best bet is to use a new table, with index/match formulas. If there are 10k+ names, I assume many will be duplicates...? Is there anything else making them unique? Also, can one donor have multiple donations per year?

Upvote 0
what you did is exactly what im trying to figure out what to do..as far as your first question there are no duplicates in regard to the actual data... besides for what i showed you with the way the names are set up and the donations are recorded as a total per year so just one entry per year...but how did you change the date??without copy and paste?:) thnx again!

Upvote 0
I didn't change the date, I'm not sure what you mean ...
Just change the references in the formulas to match where your data is set up. Make sure to keep the formulas array (confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER, curly brackets will appear if done right).
Also, this assumes that you have no blank cells in your list of names.

Upvote 0
im sorry i dont follow ....im a bit new to excel...could you re-explain what you did i see the formula that you used but can u walk me through what to write for the rest of the names..? thnx again

Upvote 0
Can you tell me how your data is arranged? Tell me your sheet names and what columns all of your data is in, and how many rows down they go?
There are two formulas. The one on the left pulls a unique list of the names from your master list; the other ones populate the other information from your master list.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back