Merging into Excel from a csv (or other format)

Starkman

Board Regular
I posted this question some time ago, but I'm still looking for some help.

I've created a billing form in Excel. I need to merge into it the names, addresses, cities, states and zips from another source (a CSV formatted file, at the moment). There are approximately 70 records to be merged.

What I am trying to do, essentially, is a mail merge as you would do in MS Word. Normally, one can merge into Word from a spreadsheet data source. Well, I'm trying to merge into Excel from a CSV data source (or another format if it would work better).

Question: How do I tell Excel to merge from the csv file AND create a separate record/page for each of the 70 records (just like a mail merge)?

Here's the format of the spreadsheet (I couldn't get HTMLMaker to work):

FIXED (A1:A4) - THIS INFORMATION WILL NOT CHANGE:
My company's name
Address
City, State, Zip

DYNAMIC (A8:A12) - THIS INFORMATION WILL COME FROM ANOTHER SOURCE AND MERGE INTO EXCEL:
Customer's name
Address
City, State, Zip

PAYMENT ACTIVITY (rest of the sheet) - FORMULAS ARE USED

See, I'm just taking Excel and doing a mail merge, just as if I were doing a mail merge in Word. Each billing will be one page length for printing purposes. Each page has to merge from the CSV (or other formatted) source document.

Any ideas how to do this?

Thanks,

Starkman

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
stark.

is this data coming from a single file? what is the setup of your source file? do you want seperate workbooks to result from the merge, or a single workbook with seperate tabs?

ben.

Upvote 0
stark.

is this data coming from a single file? what is the setup of your source file? do you want seperate workbooks to result from the merge, or a single workbook with seperate tabs?

ben.

Hey Ben,

The source file is a csv file - the information is separated by commas. The original document, from which the csv file came, was from a WordPerfect doc. It's a list of about 70 customers, each with a table (about 5 columns by 18 rows), and header information (name, address, city, etc). I couldn't get the WordPerfect doc to convert over to an MS Word file without loosing the formatting of the table and its formulas (last column has a simple formula that adds two columns and subtracts from another to keep a running balance).

Well, I figured I might as well just set up a spreadsheet to do what the WordPerfect doc did. The only problem is that I don't want to type in all the information manually; I'd prefer to merge it right in Excel and have it print out a separate page for each person - the spreadsheet ends up acting just like a Word document that is merging information from another source.

I don't need multiple worksheets or anything like that. Just one spreadsheet set to take in info from a csv file and merge it accordingly into the spreadsheet.

Hope that clears things up,

Keith

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back