merging text into blank cells

ttowncorp

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I know there has to be a easier way to move text from one cell to the next without having to select one cell at a time to copy and paste. I have information I say in B column from cell 1-2000. and information in A column from 1-2000. I will like to combined the columns as one list but I keep getting a error trying to multiple copy cells because some have blanks in them, and they need to stay on that cell row because I have other data attached to it. how do I combined both into one column without having to sort and filter first? I need a1 to stay on a1, and if b1 is blank but a1 all I should see is just a1. if they both have info then I need both of them in one cell. I hope that makes since. I can't figure out how to combine them without having to do one at a time, a few thousand will manually will not do.
abtotal
1upblankup
2downupdown up
3blankdowndown
4downdowndown down
5blankblankblank
6upupup up
7blankblankblank
8downblankdown
9upblankup

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
I believe you have some very misleading words in your description. It appears that you simply want a formula in column C that concatenates the data in column A and B. It doesn't appear that you want to "merge" anything, which is good, because merging is a terrible thing to do to data. It also doesn't appear that you want to "move" anything since the stuff in A and B seems to remain in A and B after you have what you want.

If you put the formula

=a1&" " &b1

in C1 and copy it down, you may get what you want. If a leading space in rows with blanks in A but non-blanks in B are problematic, you could go with

=A17&IF(B17<>""," "&B17,"")

I hope this helps.

Ken

Upvote 0
Put his in C1 & copy down
=TRIM(A1&" "&B1)

Upvote 0
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0
if I want to do that with 4 columns like a,b,c, and d. would the code be the same?

Upvote 0
Give it a go & see what happens.
If you get any problems, report back with the new formula

Upvote 0
I just tried and it didn't work lol. not sure how that coding of your functions.

Upvote 0
Try
=TRIM(A1&" "&B1&" "&C1&" "&D1)

Upvote 0
I c now. I was not adding a space between the "". thank you. I didn't know how sensitive coding was in this.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back