Merging two spreadsheets to override data. By common identifier or ID

kstenson

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hello, I have a spreadsheet with reporting data, in which each row has a unique case number/identifier. The report is missing an important field of who owns the account. Because the report changes—with new rows added and some removed each week— I can't just paste over the top.

When the new report is run, I want to update/override the data from the previous report, with the exception of my added column with the account owner's name. I'm hoping to find matching rows based on the unique case number and update the row if it still exists and if it doesn't, remove the row, as well as add any new rows from the most current report.

Apologies, I'm not great with Excel and don't know how to go about this and am looking for direction, in layman's terms.

I tried attaching a screenshot but it kept erroring out. Here it is: screenshot

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
have you read about the Match() function or the VLookup() function?? check them out. they might serve you well in regard to your desired effort.
Hi, Adam, I don't believe those will work. In the videos, I watched it seemed like you have to type in a specific number or word to find within the larger list and only says what row it is found. I'm looking for many rows to match by a unique ID in a column then update all the rows and columns one the first spreadsheet from the new.

Another example that might be easier to explain... Sometimes I have a list of clients who have an ID number, then my boss gives me another spreadsheet with a list of clients affected by a certain problem. I then need to see which of my clients, show up in her report, so I can reach out to them. Both reports would have the same column that contains this unique ID, so we're looking for all matches, rather than one-off searches.

Upvote 0
stenson,

If you're still subscribed to this thread, I wanted to let you know that I have gotten sidetracked with funeral duties as of late so I was unable to look at your issue here. I'm terribly sorry about that. I might be able to look at it again in a day or so, but I'm not sure. If that is too late, perhaps you can find help with others? I'll keep an eye on this thread though.

Upvote 0
stenson,

If you're still subscribed to this thread, I wanted to let you know that I have gotten sidetracked with funeral duties as of late so I was unable to look at your issue here. I'm terribly sorry about that. I might be able to look at it again in a day or so, but I'm not sure. If that is too late, perhaps you can find help with others? I'll keep an eye on this thread though.
Very sorry to hear that, Adam. Take your time on a response. I appreciate it.

Upvote 0
stenson, I've gotten tied up with other things. have you found a solution? if you haven't, I might be able to take a look tonight. i can't promise though. can you maybe do a workaround? if you've solved it though, make sure to post here so we know the problem is over.

Upvote 0
post a link to the shared excel file with representative example of source data and expected result, use OneDrive, GoogleDrive or any similar

Upvote 0
I'm well known all over the internet for sometimes making comments that have nothing to do with the issue at hand, but man I must say I would never use oneDrive even if someone threatened my life!

Upvote 0
stenson, I've gotten tied up with other things. have you found a solution? if you haven't, I might be able to take a look tonight. i can't promise though. can you maybe do a workaround? if you've solved it though, make sure to post here so we know the problem is over.
No solution yet, but once I do, I'll make sure to post to the thread. I'll send links to the files as suggested by another user. Thank you, Adam.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back