Method '_CodeName' of object '_Worksheet' failed

hombibi

I Have code renaming a worksheet codename that runs find in DEBUG but trips in RUNTIME with:

Runtime error '1004'
Method '_CodeName' of object '_Worksheet' failed

Code is part of an excel template that generates a project environment whenever a new excel workbook is generated ( from the template)

VBA Code:
   Set ws_projects_definition = wb.Sheets.Add(After:=wb.Sheets(wb.Sheets.Count))
   ws_projects_definition.name = "projects"
   ws_projects_definition.[_CodeName] = "ws_projects_defintion"

The code trips on the codename change, not on the name change.
I have tried to ws_projects_defintion.activate and .select preceding the code name change to no avail. Anyone an idea what I am overlooking?

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
The codename is read only, it's not meant to be changed at runtime.

There are a few threads discussing workaround methods here and on other forums, but the ones I've looked at seem to be saying 'don't try this at home'.

Upvote 0
Thanks Jason, I also refer to

But maybe this is not so much CodeName related, as the code works fine in Debug mode.

Putting in a messagebox before the codename change reveals that the changed object name is fine, but the code name is empty just before the codename instruction when runtime.

In debug mode the codename is not empty before the change instruction.

Upvote 0
but the code name is empty just before the codename instruction when runtime.
That's probably the reason why it's not meant to be changed at runtime. There are quite often anomalies with vba that work in debug but not runtime and vice versa, especially with workarounds for things that are not meant to be done.

It appears that the method detailed in that thread is a bit hit and miss, I managed to get it working on an older version of excel (2016 if I remember correctly) but office 365 refuses to cooperate, implying that it could be affected by version, security settings, or other unknown factors.

Upvote 0
Ok, thanks Jason, I had hoped to change the meaningless CodeNames programmatically to more descriptive names. But I guess could work around if I assign the default codename to a variable instead, or detect name changes of sheets and then write them back or so.
I'll put this question to solved.

Upvote 0
For those curious, it seems ( VBA Codenames ) that the problem is not so much in changing the CodeName, the problem is that a newly created worksheet does not have a codename to begin with, untill the project is recompiled which does not happen in runtime.

In my example I create a new worksheet, and than check the codename, which is empty in runtime, but available in debug. This is explained as the project is recompiled on each debug run.

So the solution would be to recompile the project programmatically after generating a new worksheet...

Upvote 0
SOLVED

VBA Code:
   Dim wb as workbook
   Set wb = ThisWorkbook
   Dim ws_projects_definition As Worksheet
   ' generate new worksheet
   Set ws_projects_definition = wb.Worksheets.Add(After:=wb.Sheets(wb.Sheets.Count))
   ' force VBA to generate a Codename
   ws_projects_definition.name = wb.VBProject.VBComponents(ws_projects_definition.name).Properties("Codename")
   ' rename the codename in runtime
   ws_projects_definition.[_CodeName] = "ws_pr_def"

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks for returning with your findings :)
I'll definitely be keeping this in my list of useful threads to refer back to.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back