Method ‘SaveCopyAs’ of object ‘_Workbook’ failed when Dropbox is save location

Col Delane

Until recently (late Jan 2015) I was able to SUCCESSFULLY use a VBA macro with the principal command "ThisWorkbook.SaveCopyAs" to save to one of my Dropbox folders a separate date & time stamped backup copy of my Personal.xlsb file which is located on my employer's LAN. (The filename of the backup file has the system date and time appended to the existing filename.)

However, I have now discovered that this command has stopped working with Dropbox or is intermittent, with the following VBA error message now being received:
Run-time error ‘1004’: Method ‘SaveCopyAs’ of object ‘_Workbook’ failed”​
However, if I "Pause synching" or exit Dropbox, the problem disappears! I am also yet to experience the same problem when using the same code from my home PC (also Personal.xlsb but a different file to my work copy) which is linked to the same Dropbox account.

Following some experimentation, I modified the code to follow a rather circuitous route that saves the date-stamped backup to a non-Dropbox location and then use VBA's "Filecopy" command to copy the backup file from the non-Dropbox location to the desired folder on Dropbox - which works without a similar error occurring. I can also successfully use Windows Explorer to do the same thing.

I have logged the issue with Dropbox but they say they can't respond to my inquiry due to a large volume of support requests they receiving. Great! :mad:

Does anyone have any idea why is this happening?
Is there a solution other than my circuitous work-around?

Cheers

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back