"Microsoft Excel 2019 Inside Out", error at start of Chapter 17?

When I got to work this morning, I was doubting what I posted last night, so found that one way to find the Microsoft Office executable files directory is the VBA code "?application.path" which I ran, and found the EXCEL.EXE file dated 6-6-19, the date Office was installed, and whole Properties-Details tab has the Product Version of "16.0.10827.20150". To confirm yet again, when Excel is running, Task Manager takes me to the same file.

Since my PC is also running Windows 10 Version 1803 ("April 2018 Update"), it seems that both my OS and MSO are stuck in 2018.
So it seems neglect, rather than over-aggressive GPOs are the theme.

My next step this evening is to order a copy of Microsoft Excel 2019 Pivot Table Data Crunching.

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Looking back at a link in a post of mine from a few days ago, Is Excel 2019 just Excel 2016 with a new name?, I see that they bought Office 2019 for testing, and reported:

"Excel 2019 with latest updates on October 5th, 2019 shows: 16.0.10827.20118"

Which is the same as my Excel reports in the File, Account, About Excel when the button is clicked.

After correcting their typo (which I will alert them to after I post this), they report the visible:

Via File > Account, Office 2019, shows:
Version 1809 (Build 10827.20138 Click-to-Run)

Which is lower than my '20150, which would make mine seem more recent, which is puzzling since the date-time stamp on the EXCEL.EXE is 6-6-19, earlier than their October 2019. (Yet as I noted in the last post, its Properties-Details tab has the File/Product version as 16.0.10827.20150.)

So maybe my Excel is actually up to date, afterall, but how to really verify all this?

Once again, I failled to read down to the comments on ASAP's page from the last post, and saw that the biggest typo must be that he must mean October 5th, 2018 not 2019, as the comments are from Nov 2018.

And he wouldn't be buying MSO 2019 in late 2019 to test out, but in late 2018.

And that 400 page Microsoft PDF has Version 1809 (Build 10827.20138) being for September 27, 2018.

Below is in reference to the Office 365 version shown in your profile.

Version 1809 (Build 10827.20138 Click-to-Run)
Which is lower than my '20150, which would make mine seem more recent, which is puzzling
Office build number partly depends on whether it is the monthly, Semi Annual or Semi annual (targeted) channel so you could have multiple build numbers. Just for reference I am currently on Version 2002 (Build 12527.20194 Click-To-Run).
So maybe my Excel is actually up to date, afterall, but how to really verify all this?
Manually try an update?
Link to List of current versions Office 365

And
Link to versions for 2016/2019

Last edited:
After realizing that ASAP's page had many typos, and alerting Bastien to correct them, I realized that I really do have the very old MSO 2019 from when it first became available to our IT department. The build numbers don't match what I see in the Microsoft link and downloadable PDF. My attempting to manually update doesn't do anything.

As Bastien's page, and many others that point to it, have found, is that it is very difficult to detect what version of Excel one is really running. I have read many ideas about what VBA code to run and what registry keys to look at, but nothing seems to let me know that I really have. So I'm going to assume at the worst case, the IT department would be able to get updates every six months, if they were to want to. As an end user I don't have any control over that.

I've stopped looking into this, for now, and am finally working my way through Bill's excellent "Microsoft Excel 2019 Pivot Table Data Crunching" book, and realizing how much more power we have at our fingertips. It may also give me some ideas how to approach a different department with what our end users are being denied by having a too old version of Excel 2019.

As stated in my last post, I am working my way through Bill's excellent "Microsoft Excel 2019 Pivot Table Data Crunching" book, and ran into the first snag.

In Chapter 4 "Grouping, sorting, and filtering pivot data", on page 116, in the "Creating hierarchies" section, under Figure 4-59, the book has five steps described starting with:

Follow these steps to add a hiearchy below Region:
  1. Click the Manage icon in the Power Pivot tab of the ribbon.
Since I don't have the Power Pivot ribbon, my question is if there is an alternative way to get do what is being asked?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtsheetz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back