Microsoft "Fuzzy Lookup" results

schatham

Using Excel 2010, and the Microsoft "Fuzzy Lookup" add in to compare a column out of 2 worksheets. First worksheet has around 48,000 rows (x 3 columns), second worksheet has around 23,000 rows (x 5 columns). The "Fuzzy Lookup" is comparing one column from each & returning a similarity between the two.

The fuzzy lookup appears to run without a problem, and the results - in most cases - appear to be correct. For example:

W2-NK22/16 in one worksheet shows to have a 0.97 similarity to W2NK2216.

But not in all cases. Some that I expected to have some degree of similarity, instead have 0.000 returned by the Add-In. For example:

761689700000 should have some degree of similarity to:
761689700000EN4239

but the Fuzzy Lookup add in returns 0.000 for it. Both fields are formatted as text.

I have similarity threshold set to 0.48, which should return matches. The only other Fuzzy Lookup settings I have changed were in Configure --> Global -- UseApproximateIndexing. I have set it to both False and True which have had no impact.

I have hundreds of examples like the one above that show 0.000 similarity, but appear to be very similar.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what the issue might be & how best to resolve it?

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back