Microsoft update allowing macros to run?

George J

This is an unusual observation, so my apologies if it has been covered elsewhere.

Previously when I opened any workbook that contained macros, I got a popup message requiring me to enable or cancel. This is still the case if I open a file on my C drive, but not a file I open from a network location. I am asked the first time I open the file, but not after this.

The setting for this is under File>Options>Trust Center>Trust Center Settings
Under Trusted locations, Allow Trusted Locations on my Network (not recommended) is unticked
Under Trusted Documents, Allow documents on a network to be trusted is ticked - seemingly by default.

Does this not pose a security risk if a file with malicious code is saved and opened from the network? I am sure that this did not used to be the case and that users had to enable macros every time they opened a document containing macros. We have recently changed from physical to cloud servers so I am not sure if that is the difference, but wanted to ask for opinions as to whether this is something new and if you would rather be asked before macros are run on your system?

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
It's not new. Once you trust a document to run macros, you shouldn't be asked again after that.

Upvote 0
Thanks Rory

I was not sure if the behaviour change was as a result of an update making the default to be: allow documents on a network to be trusted. We previously had to enable each time so i wondered if this was something new or a change to the default setting.

Upvote 0
I’m not aware of an update making that change. Could be a group policy if you’re at work?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back