MID function not displaying result in cell

CDICKENS

My formula for the MID function gives me a result, but it does not display the result in the cell. How do I get it to display the result?

=MID(D2,7,25)

I am trying to delete some leading text in a column with about 500 rows, is there an easier way?

Thanks,

CHuck

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Great suggestion, However my employer is very strict on downloads from the internet. Is there a way to display the results of the formula in another cell, the formula works perfectly it just does not display the result.

Chuck

Upvote 0
Can you supply the underlying data? Maybe the result is simply blanks? Is that what you need to see?

Upvote 0
Chuck,

back to the MID function
Say A1 holds "123456789ten"
Put in B1 =MID(D2,7,25)
B1 shows "789ten"
You can't have the MID function in A1

Upvote 0
Yes you are correct. I have the formula in B1. The cell displays the formula instead of the result. I used the formula wizard to create the formula (thinking that I might of had an error in the format)and it did show the result inside the wizard. But B1 displays the formula and not the result. Has something in the options tab been changed (maybe someone else was using my PC)?

Chuck

Upvote 0
On 2002-09-16 07:06, CDICKENS wrote:
My formula for the MID function gives me a result, but it does not display the result in the cell. How do I get it to display the result?

=MID(D2,7,25)

I am trying to delete some leading text in a column with about 500 rows, is there an easier way?

Thanks,

CHuck

Yes, there's an easier way. Select your data and use the Data | Text to Columns... menu command. Choose "Fixed width" at Step 1 of 3, add your break line at Step 2 of 3, at Step 3 of 3 assign the "skip" format to the leading characters that you want to elimnate, and press [ Finish ].

Upvote 0
Thanks Mark!

That is just what I needed! Another question, I need to add a ' in front of all cells that have text and numbers in them. Same situation as to the number of rows. This needs to be done to upload an inventory database.

Chuck

Upvote 0
Why the apostrophe? Why not just format as Text using the Data | Text to Columns... menu command?

Upvote 0
Chuck,

I know how to do it for text:
Select cells and Format->celprops->number tab->custom: '@

Maybe Mark knows how to to it for numbers.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leon Leenders

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back