Migrating Excel 2003 work Books to 2007 Workbooks

santeria

Currently we ( the office I am at) is doing testing to Migrate files from 2003 to 2007. I am not sure if this is a technical issue, since it is so broad, but I will give it a shot.
My more immediate background was in Excel 2000. Then I got dropped into Office XP, but had no role as a Macro writer for 2 years. Hence, quite rusty. But I moved into an area where they have Office 2003, and currently we are moving to 2007. It appears that the Macro as I knew it from Office 97 to 2003, is basically going or gone. The Macro exists, but seems to be relegated to more of a developer background, i.e. not for the "plebs". On the face of it, it looks like VB 6 is the tool of trade. Even simple elements like The "Add-ins" is a major task. Pretty much everything else is working on a better standard... presentation issues are just out of this world in a higher quality. But for someone to write, record a macro, seems extremely hard, let alone trying to transition a macro from 2003 to 2007.
Essentially, should the people who write the macros be focusing on VB6 or ...? The testing makes such basic things as if you look at a Excel sheet, and then alt tab to Word, some sheets make it impossible to tell which is which. I sure hope a book on Excel in 2007 has either come out or is on the way out.
I am still in the process of trying to grasp Office 2003 in a support mode, but we are currently working on 2007, particularly Excel, and Word ( some ACCESS), but much of the discoveries are being put back to the main project group we have.
Mmmm, general I know, but I hope someone has some comments.

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Hi Santeria,

You will still be able to develop in VBA but there are some additional restrictions. See here for more details

Denis

Upvote 0
That definitely explains much of the issues we have had in testing, and much of the issues that people have "commented" on.
The regular macro warning button in 2003 and below is a big loss; lots of people like to see that comment... the other details in that link you gave are rather intriguing.

Upvote 0
Yeah, last time I was doing more technical work was with another outsourcer, not the State itself :)
Anyways, I wish they would do some more hands on info books, or even e-books for Office 2007. Apparently we have the better Beta, however, I would love to try Office 2007 on my home machine, but as yet no money for a Tech Net subscription or MSDN . Even the basic sub would have got me some RC1 and RC2 versions of things, however I need a LOT more memory for a Machine to run Virtual PC let alone various apps that consume bundles of memory.
Being in on the testing of Excel 2007 is pretty neat.

Long time no see bud!

Check out Microsoft's VSTO page.

That's the 2007 development environment.

HTH,

Smitty

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyC96

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back