military code in excel

apgmin

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Suppose in cell A1 I have a 8 character set of random alpha numeric characters ( Example say A01XD52SFG)

Then in cell B2 I wish to get the result based on the following ( So the result will be : ALPHA ZERO ONE X-RAY DELTA FIVE TWO SIERRA FOXTROT GOLF )

AAlfa
BBravo
CCharlie
DDelta
EEcho
FFoxtrot
GGolf
HHotel
IIndia
JJuliett
KKilo
LLima
MMike
NNovember
OOscar
PPapa
QQuebec
RRomeo
SSierra
TTango
UUniform
VVictor
WWhiskey
XX-Ray
YYankee
ZZulu
1One
2Two
3Three
4Four
5five
6Six
7Seven
8Eight
9Nine
0Zero

<colgroup><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Try this UDF
If your example is in "B1" then in "B2":- =aph(B1)

Code:
Function Aph(St As String) As String
Dim Ray As Variant, n As Long, Str As String
Ray = Array("A", "Alfa", "B", "Bravo", "C", "Charlie", "D", "Delta", "E", "Echo", "F", _
"Foxtrot", "G", "Golf", "H", "Hotel", "I", "India", "J", "Juliett", "K", "Kilo", "L", _
"Lima", "M", "Mike", "N", "November", "O", "Oscar", "P", "Papa", "Q", "Quebec", "R", _
"Romeo", "S", "Sierra", "T", "Tango", "U", "Uniform", "V", "Victor", "W", "Whiskey", _
"X", "X-Ray", "Y", "Yankee", "Z", "Zulu", "1", "One", "2", "Two", "3", "Three", "4", _
"Four", "5", "five", "6", "Six", "7", "Seven", "8", "Eight", "9", "Nine", "0", "Zero")

With CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
.CompareMode = vbTextCompare
    For n = 0 To UBound(Ray) Step 2
       .Item(Ray(n)) = Ray(n + 1)
    Next
For n = 1 To Len(St)
       Str = Str & " " & .Item(Mid(St, n, 1))
Next n
End With
Aph = Mid(Str, 2)
End Function

Upvote 0
thanks
did it by =MID($D7,1,1)
=VLOOKUP(E7, A2:B37, 2, FALSE)
=CONCATENATE(M7," ",N7," ",O7," ",P7," ",Q7," ",R7," ",S7," ",T7)

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
I see you went with a table/formula approach, which is fine, of course, but if you ever wanted to be able to do away with the table, here is another UDF you could consider using (and the function could also be called by other VB code if needed)...
Code:
Function Military(S As String) As String
  Dim X As Long
  Const N As String = "AAlfa BBravo CCharlie DDelta EEcho FFoxtrot " & _
                      "GGolf HHotel IIndia JJuliett KKilo LLima MMike " & _
                      "NNovember OOscar PPapa QQuebec RRomeo SSierra TTango " & _
                      "UUniform VVictor WWhiskey XX-Ray YYankee ZZulu " & _
                      "1One 2Two 3Three 4Four 5Five 6Six 7Seven 8Eight 9Nine 0Zero"
  For X = 1 To Len(S)
    Military = Military & " " & Split(Split(N, Mid(S, X, 1), 2, vbBinaryCompare)(1))(0)
  Next
  Military = Trim(Military)
End Function

HOW TO INSTALL UDFs
------------------------------------
If you are new to UDFs, they are easy to install and use. To install it, simply press ALT+F11 to go into the VB editor and, once there, click Insert/Module on its menu bar, then copy/paste the above code into the code window that just opened up. That's it.... you are done. You can now use Military just like it was a built-in Excel function. For example,

=Military(A1)

If you are using XL2007 or above, make sure you save your file as an "Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook (*.xlsm) and answer the "do you want to enable macros" question as "yes" or "OK" (depending on the button label for your version of Excel) the next time you open your workbook.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another way:

Code:
Function Phon(sInp As String) As String
  Static bInit      As Boolean
  Const sPh         As String = "||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||Zero |One |Two |Three |Four |Five |Six |Seven |Eight |Nine ||||||||Alfa |Bravo |Charlie |Delta |Echo |Foxtrot |Golf |Hotel |India |Juliett |Kilo |Lima |Mike |November |Oscar |Papa |Quebec |Romeo |Sierra |Tango |Uniform |Victor |Whiskey |X-Ray |Yankee |Zulu |||||||Alfa |Bravo |Charlie |Delta |Echo |Foxtrot |Golf |Hotel |India |Juliett |Kilo |Lima |Mike |November |Oscar |Papa |Quebec |Romeo |Sierra |Tango |Uniform |Victor |Whiskey |X-Ray |Yankee |Zulu |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||"

Static asPh()     As String
  Dim i             As Long

If Not bInit Then
    asPh = Split(sPh, "|")
    bInit = True
  End If

For i = 1 To Len(sInp)
    Phon = Phon & asPh(Asc(Mid(sInp, i, 1)))
  Next i
End Function

Row\Col
A​
B​
C​
1​
Hi, guysHotel India Golf Uniform Yankee Sierra B1:=Phon(A1)

Upvote 0
Row\Col
A​
B​
C​
1​
Hi, guysHotel India Golf Uniform Yankee Sierra B1:=Phon(A1)
On the off-chance you are right, and the OP's text could contain spaces, punctuation characters and lowercase letters, here is my code modified to deal with them...
Code:
[SIZE=1]Function Military(S As String) As String
  Dim X As Long
  Const N As String = "AAlfa BBravo CCharlie DDelta EEcho FFoxtrot GGolf HHotel IIndia " & _
                      "JJuliett KKilo LLima MMike NNovember OOscar PPapa QQuebec RRomeo " & _
                      "SSierra TTango UUniform VVictor WWhiskey XX-Ray YYankee ZZulu " & _
                      "1One 2Two 3Three 4Four 5Five 6Six 7Seven 8Eight 9Nine 0Zero"
  For X = 1 To Len(S)
    If Mid(S, X, 1) Like "[A-Za-z0-9]" Then
      Military = Military & " " & Split(Split(N, Mid(UCase(S), X, 1), 2, vbBinaryCompare)(1))(0)
    End If
  Next
  Military = Trim(Military)
End Function[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Speed comparison?
Your code runs a little better than twice as fast as mine does (10,000 cells... 3 seconds for your function, 7 seconds for mine... so both take less than one-thousandth of a second to execute), so if the OP is processing lots of individual cells, your function is the way to go, otherwise it probably would not matter which function is used.

NOTE
----------
Your function outputs a space at the end of every text string it returns where as mine doesn't. I'm sure the effect will be minimal, but your function will slow down slightly if you choose to add code to remove that trailing space from your results.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hengshankouniuniu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back