MIN CALC RETURNING BLANK

LawNapier

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Below is the issue I am running into. It is basically a "Epic" min calc of other "User Story" min calcs. If one of the "User Story" min calcs in the range is blank, then I get a blank as well in the "Epic" min calc even though there are other "User Story" min calc dates present that can be assessed for the minimum date to return.

1591109342722.png

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
If those are the actual formulas that you're using then the cells are not blank , they contain zero values that have been hidden by formatting.
A hidden zero is still a zero, which MIN will see as a valid number that will be lower than the dates in the other cells, subsequently producing another zero which is again being hidden by formatting.

As you're using 365, you will have MINIFS which makes this a lot easier.

=MINIFS(D5:D11,B5:B11,"User Story",D5:D11,">0")

Upvote 0
If those are the actual formulas that you're using then the cells are not blank , they contain zero values that have been hidden by formatting.
A hidden zero is still a zero, which MIN will see as a valid number that will be lower than the dates in the other cells, subsequently producing another zero which is again being hidden by formatting.

As you're using 365, you will have MINIFS which makes this a lot easier.

=MINIFS(D5:D11,B5:B11,"User Story",D5:D11,">0")

Jasonb - Thank you for your response. I plugged this into my spreadsheet and unfortunately it is not working. Maybe I set it up incorrectly? Here is a screen shot of the results.
1591181912306.png

Upvote 0
You've switched the columns in the formula, it should be

=MINIFS(E7:E38,C7:C38,"User Story",E7:E38,">0")

Upvote 0
Thanks I tried your solution and it works now.

=MINIFS(E7:E38,C7:C38,"User Story",E7:E38,">0")

I also tried belwo and it seems to work as well. Do you have any preference if either has a con?

=SMALL(E7:E38,COUNTIF($E$E:$J$38,0)+1)

Upvote 0
I think both should work fine. The only thing to take into consideration is that MINIFS was only added to excel in the 2019 and 365 versions so it will show a #NAME? error if you open your workbook in an older version of excel.

There is no right or wrong way as long as it works, although it is always preferable to use a more efficient method where possible. In the case of the 2 formulas that you have above, any difference in efficiency would be too small to measure.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB_Unlv

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back