Min Max VLookup Excel 2013

MrDB4Excel

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
The attached images portray an Excel worksheet where I track Currency Exchange Rates. I have tried in vain many variations of VLookup and cannot seem to get it right. What I need is for the relevant date per the MAX and MIN values to auto insert into the indicated cells as seen in the images. The small blue colored dates you see in the images were input manually for example by entering into the cell 5/15/2020. I want these dates to appear automatically based on the lookup. Thanks for any help offered. This first image, showing =MAX(C12:C364), is in the cell E7. Directly above E7, in E6 is where I want the date associated with the Max value, as seen in the image in Cell B22, to appear. Obviously, as data is entered, then the MAX and MIN values will update accordingly as will the associated dates.
The cells that show "This Row Shows Minimum Exchange Rate" and "This Row Shows Maximum Exchange Rate" I have edited in the worksheet after creating the images to say "This Row Shows Cell Location of Minimum Exchange Rate" and "This Row Shows Cell Location of Maximum Exchange Rate"
View attachment 14105View attachment 14106View attachment 14107

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
VLOOKUP can't retrieve the dates based on the value unless you move the dates to another column. For you layout you need INDEX and MATCH, where dates and values refer to the relevant columns in your data.

=INDEX(dates,MATCH(MIN(values),values,FALSE))

Upvote 0
VLOOKUP can't retrieve the dates based on the value unless you move the dates to another column. For your layout, you need INDEX and MATCH, where dates and values refer to the relevant columns in your data.

=INDEX(dates,MATCH(MIN(values),values,FALSE))
By moving the dates to another column are you referring to for example the dates above the cell location designations as in the date in E6 needs to be in say, for example, the "X" column as seen here in this third image?
MinMaxVLookup-01a.png
MinMaxVLookup-02a.png
MinMaxVLookup-03a.png

Upvote 0
I am having difficulty with the formula. I entered this formula into column "Y" so that the result is in a different column than the MIN value result: =INDEX($B$12:B364,MATCH(MIN($C$12:C364),$B$12:B364,FALSE))... the result returns #N/A

Upvote 0
By moving the dates to another column are you referring to for example the dates above the cell location designations as in the date in E6 needs to be in say, for example, the "X" column as seen here in this third image?
No, the whole column of dates would need to be moved to the right of the columns with the values. The value that you want to look for (min or max) must always be in the left hand column, this information is in the help file.
=INDEX($B$12:B364,MATCH(MIN($C$12:C364),$B$12:B364,FALSE))... the result returns #N/A
If you check the example formula then you will see that it uses the values twice and the dates only once, not the values once and the dates twice as you have done.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back