MIN/MAXIFS function with a criteria that returns multiple correct answers

Mikek1988

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone,

I am trying to use some data to find the minimum and maximum values using the MINIFS and MAXIFS function.
However one of my criteria needs to have multiple answers, so the answer of a range could be 'A' or 'B' etc

So far I have got it to return an result for one answer but I also need it to look up other values too as they could be the correct answer instead.

I cannot upload the sheet because it is confidential, any ideas would be greatly appreciated

When the result of a formula in Excel 365 is an array, it will SPILL all the individual answers in multiple cells, which is what you're seeing in the H2 formula. If you get a 0 when you use MIN on that, it must mean that one of the individual results is 0.

It sounds like you want multiple answers on multiple rows, using some other criteria. Can you show what you're seeing with a screen print? What you have and the desired results? The XL2BB tool which I used in posts 3 and 5 is easy to download, install and use. See the link in my signature or the reply box. Dummy up some fake data if there's anything sensitive.

Or you can just copy and paste a section of your sheet into the reply box, but you'll also need to show me the formula you're using.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Attached are some pictures of a basic version of a spreadsheet similar to mine,
Example 1 shows the raw data which contains flights to and from locations with their departure times and their direction, from this the earliest flight and the latest flight to each destination needs to be shown but it has to look at the origin airports (in my version this is essential) and it also has to look up the direction,

So the equation i have been trying to use is for the earliest flight:
= MINIFS (
the possible times is the next part, Example1!B2:B30,
the next part is the first criteria which is to look up certain airports so now i tried, Example1!C2:C30,{"London Gatwick","Paris","Berlin"}
the next part is the possible destination airports, Example1!A2:A30,Example2!A2:A5
the last part is the direction, Example1!D2:D30, "Outward"

so when i have it constructed it looks like this

=MINIFS(Example1!B2:B30,Example1!C2:C30,{"London Gatwick","Paris","Berlin"},Example1!A2:A30,Example2!A2:A5,Example1!D2:D30,"Outward")

but for some reason it doesnt work or doesnt come up with any results, is there a way i can achieve what i need?

Attachments

• Example 2.JPG
    Example 2.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 5
  • Example 1.JPG
    Example 1.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
When the result of a formula in Excel 365 is an array, it will SPILL all the individual answers in multiple cells, which is what you're seeing in the H2 formula. If you get a 0 when you use MIN on that, it must mean that one of the individual results is 0.

It sounds like you want multiple answers on multiple rows, using some other criteria. Can you show what you're seeing with a screen print? What you have and the desired results? The XL2BB tool which I used in posts 3 and 5 is easy to download, install and use. See the link in my signature or the reply box. Dummy up some fake data if there's anything sensitive.

Or you can just copy and paste a section of your sheet into the reply box, but you'll also need to show me the formula you're using.
Hi,

Sorry i dont think my work laptop is allowing me to install XL2BB so ive had to post the pics above

Upvote 0
The reason you're getting 0 is because you're giving the formula a list of origins for column C, and giving it a list of destinations for column A. Some of those airports are the same. The MAXIFS is looking at every combination of those 2 lists, including combinations like Paris -> Paris and Berlin -> Berlin. For those combinations, it won't find any flights, so the MIN for those combinations is 0, making the overall MIN also 0.

If the destination is Paris, do you care what the origin is? If not, the basic B2 formula below should work. Put it in B2 and drag down. If you do have a list of acceptable origins that is the same for your entire list, you'd have to ratchet up the difficulty level a bit to the C2 formula.

Book2
ABC
1DestinationFirst FlightFirst Flight
2Paris9:009:00
3BrusselsNo flightNo flight
4AmsterdamNo flightNo flight
5Berlin9:159:15
Example2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B5B2=IFERROR(1/(1/MINIFS(Example1!$B$2:$B$10,Example1!$A$2:$A$10,A2,Example1!$D$2:$D$10,"Outward")),"No flight")
C2:C5C2=IFERROR(SMALL(IFERROR(1/(1/MINIFS(Example1!$B$2:$B$10,Example1!$A$2:$A$10,A2,Example1!$D$2:$D$10,"Outward",Example1!$C$2:$C$10,{"London Gatwick","Paris","Berlin"})),""),1),"No flight")

Upvote 0
The reason you're getting 0 is because you're giving the formula a list of origins for column C, and giving it a list of destinations for column A. Some of those airports are the same. The MAXIFS is looking at every combination of those 2 lists, including combinations like Paris -> Paris and Berlin -> Berlin. For those combinations, it won't find any flights, so the MIN for those combinations is 0, making the overall MIN also 0.

If the destination is Paris, do you care what the origin is? If not, the basic B2 formula below should work. Put it in B2 and drag down. If you do have a list of acceptable origins that is the same for your entire list, you'd have to ratchet up the difficulty level a bit to the C2 formula.

Book2
ABC
Example2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B5B2=IFERROR(1/(1/MINIFS(Example1!$B$2:$B$10,Example1!$A$2:$A$10,A2,Example1!$D$2:$D$10,"Outward")),"No flight")
C2:C5C2=IFERROR(SMALL(IFERROR(1/(1/MINIFS(Example1!$B$2:$B$10,Example1!$A$2:$A$10,A2,Example1!$D$2:$D$10,"Outward",Example1!$C$2:$C$10,{"London Gatwick","Paris","Berlin"})),""),1),"No flight")
Hi,

Sorry my example was a quick and dirty and should have checked for same origin and destination, in mine they won't be the same and very rarely there will be a zero answer.

In the Paris example not every origin will go there but I need to search only for specific origins to check if there is a flight in case there is an earlier one that would count.

I will try your equations in the morning and see how it goes, thanks for your ongoing help

Upvote 0

Book2
ABC
Example2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
Hi,

Thanks for your help C2 worked great

Is there a way to apply a countif instead of min and maxifs as well?

Upvote 0
Yes, the basic idea is to use SUM(COUNTIFS(... and set up the COUNTIFS like the MINIFS. Let me know if you have questions.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back